If you want to correct your grammar and spelling in Google Docs, then the Spell checking option is one of the great choices. In this Google Docs tutorial, we will discuss Google Docs Not Spell Checking. We will discuss the 12 best solutions for Spell check not working in google docs and along with that, we will also discuss How to put autocorrect on Google Docs.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Google Docs Not Spell Checking
- 2 Google Docs Spell Check Not Working
- 2.1 Approach-1: Refresh/Reload the Google Docs Page
- 2.2 Approach-2: Make Sure Spell Check is Enabled
- 2.3 Approach-3: Clear the Cache of Your Browser
- 2.4 Approach-4: Try Using Incognito Mode
- 2.5 Approach-5: Update Your Browser to the Latest
- 2.6 Approach-6: Try Using A Different Browser
- 2.7 Approach-7: Remove/Disable Your Browser’s Extension
- 2.8 Approach-8: Try Disabling Enhanced spell check Option
- 2.9 Approach-9: Make sure it is not a Formatting error
- 2.10 Approach-10: Setting the correct language
- 2.11 Approach-11: Try Reseting Your Browser Settings
- 2.12 Approach-12: Update Your Google Docs App
- 3 How to put autocorrect on Google Docs
- 4 Wrapping Up
Google Docs Not Spell Checking
Sometimes, You might notice Spell check not working in google docs for you. Now you might be thinking why is google docs spell check so bad. All with your Browser versions, cache, language settings, etc.
We have identified a few potential fixes that might help you to fix Google Docs Spell Check not Working issue.
Google Docs Spell Check Not Working
Below are the approaches that might help you to fix Google Docs Spell check not working issue.
Approach-1: Refresh/Reload the Google Docs Page
Before trying out any other approaches, you must try the basic step i.e try refreshing or reloading the Google Docs page by Pressing Ctrl + F5 from your Keyboard. Sometimes, there is a chance that it might fix the Google Docs Spell check not working issue.
Approach-2: Make Sure Spell Check is Enabled
If the first approach didn’t fix the issue, now check if the Spell check option is enabled on your Google Docs. If not, then enable the Show spelling suggestions and Show grammar suggestions option or turn on spell check in google docs by following the below instructions.
Turn on spell check Google Docs
Click on Tools –> Spelling and grammar –> Enable Show spelling suggestions and Show grammar suggestions options.
Approach-3: Clear the Cache of Your Browser
If Approach-2 didn’t fix your issue, try clearing your Browser Cache and data. This might fix the Google Docs Spell check not working issue for you.
Approach-4: Try Using Incognito Mode
If you are using the Google Chrome browser, try using the Incognito mode and open the Google Docs using the Incognito mode that might fix the issue.
Approach-5: Update Your Browser to the Latest
There might be a chance that you are using the old version of your browser. Try updating your browser to the latest version. Once your browser is updated to the latest version, Relaunch the browser and then Open Google Docs.
Approach-6: Try Using A Different Browser
Not sure which browser you are using, try using a different browser, You can try out with Google Chrome or any other browser of your choice.
Approach-7: Remove/Disable Your Browser’s Extension
If You are still facing the same issue try removing the unnecessary extensions. Sometimes, few extensions might create some issues, and disabling or removing those extensions might help you to fix the issue. You can follow the below instruction
- Open Google Crome browser. Click on the Extensions icon –> Then choose Manage extensions option.
2. Now you can see all the extensions try disabling or Removing one by one to find the problematic one.
3. Once you will identify the problematic extension that is actually creating the issue for you, You can enable all the other extensions.
Approach-8: Try Disabling Enhanced spell check Option
If you have enabled the Enhanced spell check option on your Browser. Try disabling the Enhanced spell check option and use the basic spell check option instead. Follow the below instruction on your Google Chrome browser to disable the Enhanced spell check option.
- Click on the three dot (…) menu from the top right corner of your Google Chrome browser –> Then select Settings.
- Expand the Advanced node –> Select Languages –> Select the Basic spell check option.
Approach-9: Make sure it is not a Formatting error
There might be a chance that you have copied the text from some source and that a Piece of text already contains the formatting errors from the source itself. So to avoid this type of scenario, use the Paste without formatting option instead of the Paste option while copy-pasting the contents from other sources.
- Copy the content –> Right click on Google Docs document –> Choose Paste without formatting option.
Approach-10: Setting the correct language
Make sure to set the correct language for your Google Docs based on your content. To set the language in Google Docs, follow the below instruction.
- Click on the File menu –> Select Language –> Choose the correct language from the list.
Approach-11: Try Reseting Your Browser Settings
You can also try resetting your Browser’s settings that might fix the spell check issue in Google Docs. The below instruction will help you to reset your browser settings for your Google Chrome browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser –> click on the three vertical dot menu bar from the top right corner –> Then select Settings option.
- Expand the Advanced node –> click on Reset and clean up option.
3. Choose the Restore settings to their original defaults option.
4. Then click on the Reset Settings button on the next window.
Approach-12: Update Your Google Docs App
In case, you are using the mobile and you are facing the same issue on your Google Docs app, the first thing is, try updating the Google Docs App version to the latest one.
You can check out in case any updated version of the Docs app is available in the play store or App store. Try installing the updated version.
The next step is clearing the cache for the docs app. Follow the below steps to clear the cache for the Docs App.
- Open Settings on your Android device –> Tap Storage option.
- Tap on the Other Apps option.
- Locate the Docs App and tap on that.
- Tap on the Clear Cache option as shown below.
This is how to fix spell check on google docs.
How to put autocorrect on Google Docs
Well, follow the below quick steps to put the autocorrect spelling on Google Docs.
- Navigate to https://docs.google.com/.
- Click on the Tools Menu –> select Preferences option.
- Make sure to check the Automatically correct spelling option on the Preferences window and then select Ok button to save the preferences.
You may also like following the below articles
- How To Set Default Font In Google Docs
- How to highlight in Google docs
- How to make google docs read aloud
- How To View Two Pages Side By Side In Google Docs
- How to check word count on Google docs
- How to save Google docs as pdf
Well, in this article, we have discussed the 12 best fixes for Google Docs Not Spell Checking. Choose the right solution for you. Along with that, we have also discussed How to put autocorrect on Google Docs.
Hope it helped you to fix your Google Docs Spell Check not Working issue and you have enjoyed this article !!!.