Google Drive is a very powerful real-time collaborator that allows multiple users to edit its documents simultaneously. It is no doubt that for any collaboration tool, security is essential. Having said that, anyone with Google account credentials can access Google Drive that may cause misuse of the information in multiple harmful ways. That’s why it is essential to lock or protect Google Drive with a password. Protecting Google Drive will help to block hackers or unauthorized people from accessing your information. Let’s dive deep to know how to lock or protect Google Drive with a password. Let us check how to password protect google drive.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Why password protect Google Drive?
- 2 How to password protect Google Drive?
- 3 How to upload your password protect Google Docs files in Google Drive?
Why password protect Google Drive?
Google Drive is very useful to store all of your files and folders in the cloud to access from anywhere and from any device. Google Drive also makes sharing files and folders with collaborators or other people.
Accessing Google Drive’s files and folders is very easy, but sometimes this may turn into a major drawback. It is obvious that you are always logged into Google account on both your computer and your phone.
This will be easy for someone else to access your Google Drive files and folders if you lose or leave unattended one of your devices. If you store sensitive information, financial data, your company’s trade secrets, or any other confidential information, then it is essential to password protect your Google Drive.
You may like following Google drive tutorials:
- How to pin Google Drive to Taskbar
- How to recover permanently deleted files from Google Drive
- How to delete everything in google drive
- How to select multiple files on Google Drive + Select All Files
- How to remove quick access from google drive
- Google drive folder: How to Share, unshare and turn off link sharing
- How do I resize an image in Google Drive
How to password protect Google Drive?
There is no straightway you can protect your Google Drive with a password. But there are a few workarounds you can try.
Password protect Google Drive using Google Forms
You can password protect your Google Drive’s files and folders using Google forms. In this method, first, we will get a link to the Google Drive file or folder, and then we will create a Google form. Later the Google form link will ask for the password and will give the link for the Google Drive file or folder. You can validate the user before displaying the Google Drive link to the folder. To password protect Google Drive using Google forms,
- Open your Google Drive account.
- Right-click on the file or folder you wish to protect with a password and click on “Get Shareable Link”.
- Set the user permission you want to grant (viewer, editor, or commenter) and copy the link.
- Now open your Google Forms.
- Click on the “+” symbol to create a new blank form.
- Choose “Short Answer” from the dropdown next to the text field and input a password in Untitled Question
- Toggle the ‘Required’ button to On
- Click on the ellipsis symbol (three vertical dots) and click Response Validation.
- Choose Text instead of Number
- Enter the password in the text field. In the Custom Error Text, type “You have entered the wrong password”.
- Now click on the ‘Settings’ icon on the top right of the screen and go to Presentation.
- Uncheck the “Show link to submit another response” box
- Paste the copied Google Drive file link in the “Confirmation Message” section.
- You can have a preview of the form by clicking on the ‘eye’ icon on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- Finally, click the ‘Save’ button.
- You can now share the link to the form with desired people.
Only those people who know passwords can access your Google Drive files and folders.
How to password protect Google Drive using encryption?
If you want to keep your Google Drive files and folders safe from prying eyes, encryption is the best way. There are several add-ons and tools available online to password protect Google Drive files and folders. One of those add-ons available to password protect Google Drive is “Secure File Encryption”.
Secure File Encryption Drive add-on
One of the best ways to lock and protect your Google Drive’s sensitive data with a password is to upload your Google Drive files with encryption and then require a password for future access. With secure file encryption add-on, you can securely store private files in your Google Drive.
Secure File Encryption add-on provides bank-grade AES256 encryption to protect your files and folders stored on Google Drive. This add-on ensures no unencrypted data ever leaves your own computer.
This add-on uses great browser support from Google Chrome to encrypt your Google Drive files and folders on the fly as they are uploaded to Google Drive and decrypt them during download. There are no size limits to the Google Drive files and folders you can upload.
How to password protect your Google Drive using Secure File Encryption add-on?
- To password protect your Google Drive files and folders using Secure File Encryption add-on, first, you have to install the add-on.
- Go to the G-suite marketplace and search for “Secure file encryption”.
- Click the blue-colored “Install” button.
- Secure file encryption will need your permission to start installing. Click continue to proceed. The add-on will get added to your Google Drive.
How to upload your password protect Google Docs files in Google Drive?
- Now, if you want to upload something new, click on the “New” button in Google Drive’s upper left corner, hover over “More,” and select “Secure File Encryption” from the menu that appears.
- This will open up a new window to upload your file.
- Upload the file which you want to protect with a password.
- Enter the password to encrypt your files. This same password will be needed to download your Google Drive files.
- You can also customize the name of the Google Drive file.
- It will be encrypted before it leaves your computer!
- How to change ownership of a google drive folder
- How to upload videos from google drive to youtube 2020
- How to pause google drive upload (Windows & macOS)
- How to remove shared files from google drive
- How to rename Google Drive folder
And voila! You can now password protect Google Drive easily by following the above instructions.