Are you wondering how to do small caps in Google Docs? Even though there is no straight way to do small caps in Google Docs, you can do small caps in Google Docs using some simple steps.
Table Of Contents
Small caps Google Docs
The most important benefit of using small caps in Google Docs is it can be easier on the eyes and can make the text easier to read. This is because there is a wide range of shapes of lower case letters as compared with upper case letters.
You can use small caps in Google Docs using different ways and workarounds. In this article, you’ll learn how to do small caps in Google Docs using the following methods.
- Small Caps in Google Docs using the “Capitalisation” feature
- Small Caps in Google Docs using small caps add-on “Change case”
- Small Caps in Google Docs using the keyboard shortcut
Change Case in Google Docs
Unfortunately, Google Docs doesn’t support a simple way or shortcut to do small caps easily. However, you can do small caps using the “Capitalisation” feature with a couple of steps.
Small Caps in Google Docs using the “Capitalisation” feature
To do small caps in Google Docs document, follow the below steps:
1. Open Google Docs in your browser and sign in to your account.
2. Open the Google Docs document and select the text you want to do in small caps.
3. Navigate to the menu bar at the top of the window and click Format > Text > Capitalization > Lowercase.
Selecting ‘Lowercase’ makes every letter in the selected text into small caps. You can select any text and do small caps in your Google Docs document.
Small caps Add-on Google Docs
Even though you can do small caps in Google Docs easily using the built-in capitalization feature, it doesn’t provide many other options while doing small caps in word processors. You can use small-caps add-ons in Google Docs to get more lowercase options.
Small Caps in Google Docs using small caps add-on “Change case”
Follow the below steps to do small caps in Google Docs using the “Change case” add-on.
1. Open Google Docs, sign in to your account and open the Google Docs document in your browser.
2. Click “Extensions” and then select “Get Add-Ons.”
3. Search for “Change Case” in the search box, and click on the “Change Case” add-on in the G Suite Marketplace.
4. Select “Install” to add the add-on to Google Docs and “Continue” to install the add-on into Google Docs and grant all the permissions needed.
5. Click Add-Ons > Change Case after installation to see a list of available options.
6. Here, you can see many different options to change the case of your text. You can use the “Invert case” that makes letters the inverse case of each letter selected. You can also use other change case options like Sentence case, First letter capital, Title case, etc.
If you have all capital letters in your document and want to change some letters in small caps or format with several more options, you can use this Google add-on.
Google Docs lowercase shortcut
You can also change the text case using the keyboard shortcut. Select the text you want to do in small caps in Google Docs, and press SHIFT + F3 on the keyboard until the lowercase is applied.
You may also like following the articles below
And that’s it! It is this much simple to do small caps in Google Docs.
I am Rajkishore, and I have over 14 years of experience in the Software Industry. For a long time, I have been using Google Docs, Google Drive, and Google Sheets for my document usage, and I am sharing all the tips and tricks, the challenges I have come across, and their solutions to use Google Docs for your day-to-day use. I hope you will learn from these practical Google Docs tutorials. Read more.