Em dash is one of the best substitutes to help you instead of colons and commas. If you are using Microsoft Word you get the functionality directly meaning by default it substitutes two hyphens with an Em dash. Google Docs doesn’t provide this functionality by default but it’s possible with a few approaches. Let’s deep dive into how to make Em dash in Google Docs?
Along with that, we will also discuss the below topics
- how to insert em dash in Google Docs
- how to create em dash in Google Docs
- how to make em dash in Google Docs on Android/iOS
- How To View Two Pages Side By Side In Google Docs
- How To Underline In Google Docs
- Why Can’t I Print From Google Docs
Table Of Contents
How To Make Em Dash In Google Docs
Well, let’s discuss a few best approaches to create/make/insert Em Dash in Google Docs.
Approach-1: Inserting as a Special Character
The simple way is to insert the Em Dash as a special character. Follow the below steps to insert the Em dash to your Googe Docs document.
- Open your Google Docs document and Click on the Insert menu –> Choose Special Characters.
2. On the Insert special characters window, search for em dash and you will find the em dash, three em dash, vertical em dash, small em dash characters as the search result.
3. Click on any of the EM DASH symbols that you want to use in your document.
This is how to insert Em Dash in Google Docs.
Approach-2: Using Keyboard Shortcuts
Another simple way to insert the em dash character is by using the keyboard shortcuts. Follow the below information.
- Hold the Alt key and then enter 0151 from your keyboard.
In case if you are using Mac, You can use the Shift-Option-Hyphen to insert the em dash character.
Approach-3: Setting the Preferencs (Replacing Multiple Hyphens)
Another approach is to replace two or three consecutive hyphens. So after these settings, once you will enter two or three consecutive hyphens, Google Docs will add an em dash instead.
- Open Your Google Docs document and click on Tools –> Choose Preferences.
2. On the Preferences window, click on the Substitutions tab, type double hyphens on the Replace text box and press Alt key, and enter 0151 to enter the em dash character on the With textbox, or if you are using Mac use Shift-Option-Hyphen to enter the em dash character.
Note: You can also copy and paste the em dash character on the With text box (Refer the Approach-1 to insert the em dash character on your Google Docs and then once inserted, right-click on the em dash character select copy and then paste it on the With textbox).
Finally, click on the OK button to save the substitutions.
Now on when you will press the hyphen key twice, you can see the em dash character.
These are the best approaches to create/make/insert Em Dash in Google Docs.
Now, you might be thinking about how to replace the em dash for the double hyphens in my existing documents where i have inserted a few consecutive hyphens earlier. It is obvious that the above trick will not work for you.
So follow the below information to replace the consecutive hyphens with an em dash.
- Open your existing Google Docs document.
2. Click on the Edit menu –> Select Find and replace.
3. On the Find and replace window, Enter a double hyphen on the Find text box and press the Alt key, and enter 0151 to enter the em dash character on the With textbox, or if you are using Mac use Shift-Option-Hyphen to enter the em dash character on the Replace with textbox.
Finally, click on the Replace All button.
How To Make Em Dash In Google Docs on Android/iOS
You can easily insert/create an em dash in Google Docs on Android or iOS using the below steps.
- Open the Docs App on your Android device tap on any existing Google Docs and then tap on the Pencil icon to edit or you can tap on the + icon to create an empty Google Docs document.
2. You can Long-hold the hyphen for accessing the em dash with Gboard on Android. Basically, once you will long-press the hyphen, you will get a hyphen, en dash, em dash, and a bullet.
You may also like following the below articles
- Google docs link to another document | Google docs link within document
- How To Set Default Font In Google Docs
- How To Do A Hanging Indent On Google Docs?
- How to use Google docs numbered list
- How to make a google docs calendar
And that’s it! You can make Em Dash In Google Docs easily! Just follow the above-mentioned steps!
So we have discussed here, how to make em dash in Google Docs. and along with that we have also discussed how to create em dash in Google Docs and how to insert em dash in Google Docs and how to make em dash in Google Docs on Android/iOS.
Hope you have enjoyed this article !!! and you will love the em dash from now on.