Google Docs is a loaded-featured and simple online word processor with different cool formatting options for making your Google Docs documents look cool. Google docs have two awesome options that format your document to its eternal look. They are line spacing and paragraph spacing. Google docs Line spacing is generally defined as the space between each line in a paragraph.
In Google Docs line spacing is measured in lines. For example, when the text is double spaced, line spacing is two lines high.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Line spacing in Google Docs
- 2 Various line spacing options in Google Docs
- 3 Best Line spacing for your Google Docs
- 4 Default Line spacing in Google Docs
- 5 Set Double Space In Google Docs
- 6 How To Double Space In Google Docs (3 Simple Ways)
- 7 Paragraph spacing
- 8 Remove Paragraph Spacing in Google Docs
- 9 Google docs line spacing problems
- 10 How to remove extra spaces in Google docs?
- 11 Why is the enter key creating double spacing in Google Docs?
- 12 How to change line spacing in google docs mobile?
- 13 Change the line spacing in Google docs on Android mobile
- 14 How to Use Double Spacing in Google Docs on Mobile
- 15 Change the line spacing in Google docs on IOS mobile
- 16 How to fix spacing between words in Google Docs
- 17 Character spacing available yet in Google Docs?
- 18 Google Docs Line Spacing Less Than 1
- 19 Google Docs Line Spacing iPad
Line spacing in Google Docs
Line spacing in Google Docs determines the amount of vertical space between lines of text in your paragraph. Lines in Google Docs are usually single-spaced and you can also customize the line spacing to be
- Single-spaced (one line high)
- Double spaced (two lines high), or
- More based on your needs for spacing
Various line spacing options in Google Docs
- You change your paragraph spacing with various options available in the “Line spacing” like Single, 1.15, 1.5, and Double.
- The two options “Add space before paragraph” and “Add space after paragraph” is used to add your spacing between paragraphs. You can also remove spacing by using “Remove space before paragraph” and “Remove space after paragraph”.
- Custom spacing helps you to customize your line and paragraph spacing. All you have to do is just entering the size of the spacing you want in lines, before and after a paragraph, and clicking Apply.
- The “Keep with next” option helps you to keep both paragraph headings and text on the same page.
- The “Keep lines together” option helps you to keep all lines of text within same paragraph on the same page.
- The “Prevent single lines” option helps you to prevent single lines at the beginning or end of paragraphs.
Best Line spacing for your Google Docs
It is commonly measured as a percentage of your font size and the ideal line spacing for better readability for your Docs is 130%-150% of your font size.
- Google docs numbered headings
- How to add header and footer in Google Docs (remove Google docs header and footer)
- Generate QR Code in Google Docs
- How to Create a To-Do List in Google Docs
- How to remove Google docs page numbers
Default Line spacing in Google Docs
The default line spacing of Docs is 1.15 inches.
Set Double Space In Google Docs
If the lines in your Google Docs document are too close or if the space in between your paragraphs is too large, you can set double space in Google Docs very easily.
How To Double Space In Google Docs (3 Simple Ways)
There are 3 simple approaches to double space in Google Docs.
- Approach – 1: Using the Menu Bar option
- Approach – 2: Using the Toolbar option
- Approach – 3: Using the Custom Spacing
All you have to do is simply following the below instruction:
Approach – 1: Using the Menu Bar option
- You can place your cursor anywhere on your Google Docs to set double space.
- Click Format menu> Line spacing > Double
You can see all the lines with a single space in your document have changed into double spacing. You are not required to select a text you wish to double the space because the double-spacing option applies to your entire Google docs document.
Approach – 2: Using the Toolbar option
Another easiest way is to use the toolbar option to double space in Google Docs.
- You can place your cursor anywhere on your Google Docs to set double space.
- Click on the Line Spacing option that is present on the tool bar> Then choose Double as highlighted below.
Approach – 3: Using the Custom Spacing
You can also quickly use the custom spacing option to double space in Google docs.
Custom Spacing in Google Docs
If you don’t want to continue with pre-set single or double-spacing, then you need to select your own line spacing using the “Custom spacing” option in Google Docs.
Follow the below instructions to customize line spacing in Docs.
- Click Format > Line Spacing > Custom spacing.
- You can also use the custom spacing option by clicking on the “Line spacing” icon on the top right of the Docs document.
- This opens up a small Custom spacing pop up that actually provides you the oppertunity to set any particular spacing between your individual lines or different paragraphs in the Google Docs document.
- The measurement of the Line spacing in the custom line spacing is actually in terms of inches, and the paragraph spacing is measured in terms of points.
- Once you customize your measurement for the line spacing, Click “Apply” button.
- The updated spacing will get applied to the complete Google Docs document.
If you are creating a Google Doc document and want to change the spacing between the lines of text, you have the option to change either the spacing of the lines of text before writing your document, or you can do it after writing your document.
You can also use the Google Docs paragraph spacing just like formatting spacing between lines in your Google Docs document.
To format paragraph spacing:
- Select the text you wish to format.
- Click Format > Line spacing
- Click on “Add space before paragraph” or “Add space after paragraph” from the drop-down menu. You can also click Custom spacing to fine-tune your spacing.
Remove Paragraph Spacing in Google Docs
To remove paragraph spacing, follow the below steps
- Click on the Format menu > Select line spacing
- Click on the “Remove space before paragraph” option or the “Remove space after paragraph” option.
Google docs line spacing problems
The spacing in your Docs can go sometimes very wrong and causes several line spacing problems.
To sum up, you can encounter two types of problems generally. They are
- Extra space depending upon the font style of your text
- Extra space because of double spacing
How to remove extra spaces in Google docs?
An efficient way of removing extra spaces in your Google Docs is using “Custom Spacing”.Custom spacing will fix the strange line spacing issues and removes extra spaces.
To remove the extra spaces between lines in your Google Docs document, customize the spacing option as below:
- Paragraph spacing before : 0
- Paragraph spacing after : 0
- Line spacing: 1
Why is the enter key creating double spacing in Google Docs?
By default, Google Docs creates a single space. But, If you can set a double spacing in the paragraph and if you press the ‘enter key‘, there is a high chance that you will get double spaces in between your Paragraphs.
The double-spaced text has a full blank line between each row of text.
If you want to get rid of the double-spacing or avoid the double-spacing when you are trying to hit “ Enter” key, follow the below instructions.
- Set spacing after and before to “0”
- Click on the “Line spacing” option that is present at the top right of your Google docs document and then you need to click on the “remove space before paragraph” option.
How to change line spacing in google docs mobile?
You can change the line spacing in your Docs on both Android and IOS mobile.
Change the line spacing in Google docs on Android mobile
To change the line spacing in Google docs on Android mobile, follow the below instructions:
How to Use Double Spacing in Google Docs on Mobile
- Open your Google Docs app on your Android phone or tablet and sign in to your Google Docs account.
- Now get into your Google Docs document for which you wish to add double spacing.
- You can find the “Edit” option in the right corner of your app. Tap it.
- Double-tap to select the place in your Google Docs document that you wish to edit.
- Now tap on Format > paragraph
- Next to “Line spacing,” use the arrows to choose the amount of the space you wish to have between lines in the paragraph. For example, make it 2.00.
Line spacing in your Google Docs document is now changed.
- How to add Google Docs Image Caption
- How to create a Google Docs questionnaire- Step-by-Step
- How to use Google docs numbered list
- Where are my Google docs
Change the line spacing in Google docs on IOS mobile
- Head up to your Google Docs app on the IOS mobile.
- Open the document you wish to change the line space.
- Double-tap in your Google Docs document, then touch the Formatting button at the top of the screen.
- Tap Paragraph tab > Line spacing
- Change the line spacing value by tapping on the ^ button to the right of the line spacing option
This is How to change the line spacing in Google Docs‘ mobile app.
To improve the readability and reduce your Google Docs document to fit more text on your Google Docs page, follow the above instructions, and use Google Docs line spacing efficiently.
How to fix spacing between words in Google Docs
Well, let’s discuss here How do you get rid of extra spaces between words in Google Docs?. You can follow the below information to remove the paragraph spacing.
Select the paragraph –> click on Format –> Click on Line Spacing –> Now you can click on Remove space before paragraph or Remove space after paragraph option based on your need.
Character spacing available yet in Google Docs?
No, character spacing (Kerning) in Google Docs is not available as of now.
Google Docs Line Spacing Less Than 1
You can also set the Google Docs line spacing less than 1 if you are having any requirements using the following steps.
- Select the paragraph –> Click on the Format option from the Actions menu
- Select the Line Spacing –> Click on the Custom Spacing option.
- On the Custom spacing window, enter the Line spacing value as less than one and then click on the Apply button to save the changes.
Now, you can able to see the expected output as below.
Google Docs Line Spacing iPad
You can also implement the line spacing in Google Docs in your iPad or iPhone using the below steps.
- The first step is, open the document in the Google Docs app on your iPad or iPhone.
- The next step is you need to tap on Edit.
- Now, in your document, double tab on the place where you wish to do the line spacing. If you wish to select more text, you can move the blue marker.
- The fourth step is to tap on the Format option.
- Now, you need to provide the amount of space between the lines, So you can use the arrows which is present next to the “Line spacing” option.
This is how you can implement the Google Docs line spacing in your iPad or iPhone.
- How To Insert A Text Box In Google Docs
- Google docs without Gmail or Google account
- How To Paste In Google Docs With Formatting
Well, now, I am sure that you have an idea of Google docs line spacing. You saw how easy to double space in Google Docs and even it is quite easy to change the line spacing in Google Docs on your desktop or on your mobile. Now, it’s your turn to follow the above steps to change the spacing in your Google Docs document and remove the line spacing as per your requirement. Thanks for reading this article and I hope you will not suffer from google docs spacing issues from now on.