Google Docs is a full-featured word processor with various formatting functions to make your Google Docs document look exactly the way you desire it to look. Google docs have two awesome options that format your document to its eternal look. They are line spacing and paragraph spacing. Google docs Line spacing is generally defined as the space between each line in a paragraph.
In Google Docs line spacing is measured in lines. For example, when the text is double spaced, the line spacing is two lines high.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Line spacing in Google Docs
- 2 Various line spacing options in Google Docs
- 3 Best Line spacing for your Google Docs
- 4 Default Line spacing in Google Docs
- 5 Set Double Space In Google Docs
- 6 Custom Spacing in Google Docs
- 7 Paragraph spacing
- 8 Remove Paragraph Spacing in Google Docs
- 9 Google docs line spacing problems
- 10 How to remove extra spaces in Google docs?
- 11 Why is my enter key double spacing google docs?
- 12 How to change line spacing in google docs mobile?
- 13 Change the line spacing in Google docs on Android mobile
- 14 Change the line spacing in Google docs on IOS mobile
Line spacing in Google Docs
Line spacing in Google Docs determines the amount of vertical space between lines of text in your paragraph. Lines in Google Docs are usually single-spaced and you can also customize the line spacing to be
- Single-spaced (one line high)
- Double spaced (two lines high), or
- More based on your needs for spacing
Various line spacing options in Google Docs
- You change your paragraph spacing with various options available in the “Line spacing” like Single, 1.15, 1.5, and Double.
- The two options “Add space before paragraph” and “Add space after paragraph” is used to add your spacing between paragraphs. You can also remove spacing by using “Remove space before paragraph” and “Remove space after paragraph”.
- Custom spacing helps you to customize your line and paragraph spacing. All you have to do is just entering the size of the spacing you want in lines, before and after a paragraph, and clicking Apply.
- The “Keep with next” option helps you to keep both paragraph headings and text on the same page.
- The “Keep lines together” option helps you to keep all lines of text in the same paragraph on the same page.
- The “Prevent single lines” option helps you to prevent single lines at the beginning or end of paragraphs.
Best Line spacing for your Google Docs
It is commonly measured as a percentage of your font size and the ideal line spacing for better readability for your Docs is 130%-150% of your font size.
- Google docs numbered headings
- How to add header and footer in Google Docs (remove Google docs header and footer)
- Generate QR Code in Google Docs
- How to Create a To-Do List in Google Docs
- How to remove Google docs page numbers
Default Line spacing in Google Docs
The default line spacing of Docs is 1.15 inches.
Set Double Space In Google Docs
If the lines in your Google Docs document are too close or if the space between paragraphs is too large, you can set double space in Google Docs very easily.
All you have to do is simply following the below instruction:
- You can place your cursor anywhere on your Google Docs to set double space.
- Click Format > Line spacing > Double
You can see all single-spaced lines in your document has changed into double spacing. You are not required to select the text you want to double space since the double-spacing option applies to your entire Google docs document.
Custom Spacing in Google Docs
If you don’t want to continue with pre-set single or double-spacing, you can customize your own line spacing using the “Custom spacing” option in Google Docs.
Follow the below instructions to customize line spacing in Docs.
- Click Format > Line Spacing > Custom spacing.
- You can also use the custom spacing option by clicking on the “Line spacing” icon on the top right of the Docs document.
- This opens up a small Custom spacing window that allows you to set the specific spacing between either individual lines or paragraphs in your document.
- The line spacing measurement in custom line spacing is in inches, and paragraph spacing is in points.
- Once you customize your line spacing measurement, Click “Apply”
- The new spacing will apply to your entire Google Docs document.
If you are creating a Google Doc document and want to change the spacing between the lines of text, you have the option to change either the spacing of the lines of text before writing your document, or you can do it after writing your document.
You can also format spacing options between each paragraph just like formatting spacing between lines in your Google Docs document.
To format paragraph spacing:
- Select the text you want to format.
- Click Format > Line spacing
- Click on “Add space before paragraph” or “Add space after paragraph” from the drop-down menu. You can also click Custom spacing to fine-tune your spacing.
Remove Paragraph Spacing in Google Docs
To remove paragraph spacing,
- Click Format > line spacing
- Click “Remove space before paragraph” or “Remove space after paragraph”.
Google docs line spacing problems
The spacing in your Docs can go sometimes very wrong and causes several line spacing problems.
To sum up, you can encounter two types of problems generally. They are
- Extra space depending upon the font style of your text
- Extra space because of double spacing
How to remove extra spaces in Google docs?
An efficient way of removing extra spaces in your Google Docs is using “Custom Spacing”.Custom spacing will fix the strange line spacing issues and removes extra spaces.
To remove the extra spaces between lines in your Google Docs document, customize the spacing option as below:
- Paragraph spacing before : 0
- Paragraph spacing after : 0
- Line spacing: 1
Why is my enter key double spacing google docs?
The default spacing in Google Docs is a single space. If you set double spacing within your paragraph and hit the ‘enter’ key, chances are high that you automatically have double spaces between the paragraphs.
The double-spaced text has a full blank line between each row of text.
To get rid of this double spacing when hitting the “ Enter” key, follow the below instructions.
- Set the spacing before and after to “0”
- Click the “Line spacing” icon on the top right of the Google docs and click “remove space before paragraph”
How to change line spacing in google docs mobile?
You can change the line spacing in your Docs on both Android and IOS mobile.
Change the line spacing in Google docs on Android mobile
To change the line spacing in Google docs on Android mobile, follow the below instructions:
- Open your Google Docs app on your Android phone or tablet and sign in to your Google Docs account.
- Now get into your Google Docs document for which you want to add double spacing.
- You can find the “Edit” option in the lower right corner of the app. Tap it.
- Double-tap to select the place in your Google Docs document that you want to edit.
- Now tap on Format > paragraph
- Next to “Line spacing,” use the arrows to choose the amount of space you want to have between the lines in the paragraph.
Line spacing in your Google Docs document is now changed.
- How to add Google Docs Image Caption
- How to create a Google Docs questionnaire- Step-by-Step
- How to use Google docs numbered list
- Where are my Google docs
Change the line spacing in Google docs on IOS mobile
- Head up to your Google Docs app on the IOS mobile.
- Open the document you want to change the line space.
- Double-tap in your Google Docs document, then touch the Formatting button at the top of the screen.
- Tap Paragraph tab > Line spacing
- Change the line spacing value by tapping on the ^ button to the right of the line spacing option
This is How to change the line spacing in Google Docs‘ mobile app.
To improve the readability and reduce your document to fit more text on your Google Docs page, follow the above instructions, and use Google Docs line spacing efficiently.
The above steps will also solve the below queries
- how to remove space between lines in google docs
- google docs remove space after paragraph
- how to remove line spacing in google docs
- how to change spacing in google docs
- google docs line spacing less than 1
- remove space after paragraph google docs
- How to change the line spacing on any text in Google Docs, on your desktop or mobile device
- How To Change Margins & Double Space In Google Docs
- Indents and Line Spacing – Google Docs
- google docs spacing issues