Google Drive is a powerful tool that lets you invite collaborators, control document permissions, and allows you to share files and folders. Google Drive makes it simple to share and collaborate with different types of files. You can share files and folders, control the sharing permission, and turn off link sharing options on Google Drive. You can also unshare a Google Drive file or folder. Let’s dive deep to know how to share and unshare Google Drive folder and turn off the link sharing option on Google Drive.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to share a Google Drive folder?
- 2 Share Google Drive folders and Notify People
- 3 How to Turn on the Link Visibility Option to share with others?
- 4 Allow anyone with a link to access Google Drive folders
- 5 How to unshare a Google Drive folder?
- 6 Stop Link Sharing to the Google Drive Folder
- 7 How to turn off link sharing on google drive?
- 8 Delete a Shared Google Drive Folder
Sharing a Google Drive folder on Google Drive is simple. If you want to share a single Google Drive folder, you can simply select and then share it. But what if you want to share a bulk of Google Drive folders?
You may like following Google drive tutorials:
- How to remove quick access from google drive
- How to add google drive to file explorer
- How to delete everything in google drive
- How to recover permanently deleted files from Google Drive
- How to organize google drive shared with me?
- How to pin Google Drive to Taskbar
- How to remove shared files from google drive
To select a bulk of Google Drive folders for sharing,
- Select the first folder you want. Press and hold the shift key down.
- Similarly, select the last file you want. Release shift key and make sure that all selected files will remain highlighted
- You can also select multiple individual folders by holding the ‘Ctrl’ key and continuing select folders.
- Once you selected the folders you want to share, click on the “silhouette icon” on the top right of the Google Drive window.
- You can also right-click the document and select the ‘Share’ option from the menu.
- Once you’ve clicked on the ‘Share’ option or ‘Share’ icon, “Share with people and groups” window will appear.
Google Drive has “Visibility Options” that allow you to control who can view your Google Drive folders. The “Share” option gives you the freedom to choose to make your folders visible to certain individuals, anyone with a link to the document, or public on the web.
- “Share with people and groups” window has two options to share Google Drive folders — You can either type the names of people from your contact list or the email addresses of people you wish to share the Google Drive folders.
- You can add the names and email addresses of everyone you want to share the Google Drive folders with. You can also add a note to your collaborators in the Add a note field.
You can also notify the people you are sharing with a message. Once you enter the email address, a screen will appear that allows you to type your message and send it.
Sharing folders in Google Drive is a bit different, and sharing permissions can get tricky. If you plan to share anything other than specific documents, it’s wise to understand a bit more about how sharing in Google Drive works.
Once done with adding people, Click the Send button in the lower-left of the “Share with people and groups” window.
Google Drive ‘Share with people and groups’ screen lets you customize your link visibility options.
Activating the link sharing option reduces the amount of control you have over who can see the Google Drive folders. One of your reviewers could share the link with others, and those others would be able to access your Google Drive folders. But, you can define who can see your Google Drive folders.
“Get link” option is set to ‘Restricted’ by default. That is, only people added can open the Google Drive folders with this link.
You have the complete control of how your Google Drive folders will be shared on the public. If you are the Google Drive folder owner, you can authorize other individuals to view, or edit Google Drive folders and its files.
To change the Collaborator options, change the ‘restricted’ link to ‘Anyone with the link’.
Anyone With the Link
To give access to a large group of specific people, you can choose ‘Anyone with the link’ from the ‘Get Link’.This option assures anyone on the internet with this link can view. Anyone can view or edit your Google Drive folders.
- Enabling ‘Anyone with link’ option lets you share Google Drive folders and its files non-Gmail users. People don’t need a Google account to view the Google Drive folders and its files, just anyone who has a direct link can either view or edit your Google Drive folders and files.
- You can find the viewer dropdown option at the right corner of the “Share with People and Groups” screen. Click on the dropdown icon. You can choose from the Viewer and editor.
If you want to allow others to only see your Google Drive folder, select the Viewer option.
‘Editor’ collaborator option allows other individuals to edit your Google Drive folder and its files. Collaborators can work in your Google Drive folders simultaneously in real-time, so you can avoid sending emails for every change done.
You can unshare a Google Drive folder by following three different methods.
Stop sharing Google Drive folder with specific people
The first thing you have to do to unshare a Google Drive folder is removing the people from sharing.
How to stop sharing Google Drive folder with specific people?
- Select the Google Drive folder you want to unshare with.
- Right-click on it and select the ‘Share’ option.
- “Share with people and groups” screen will get open.
- Move to the person name, you want to stop sharing with.
- Click on the dropdown at the right end and select the “Remove” option.
- Repeat the step to remove all the collaborators of the shared Google Drive folder.
Stop Link Sharing to the Google Drive Folder
When you stop link sharing to the Google Drive folder or a file, the only people who can still see the folder or file will be you and people whose names or email addresses you share with.
If you turn on link sharing options, anyone with edit permissions can change the sharing settings for the file. If you don’t want anyone to publicly access your file, you can turn off link sharing on Google Drive.
To turn off link sharing on Google Drive,
- Click on the “Share” icon. Once the “Share with people and groups” window opened, navigate to the “get link” section.
- Click on the “Anyone with the link” dropdown and select “Restricted” option.
- Click done.
This will turn off link sharing on Google Drive.
If you permanently delete a shared Google Drive folder that you own, then the shared people will also lose the folder and its files.
And voila! You can now share and unshare your Google Drive folders and turn off link sharing options easily by following the above instruction.