The most powerful aspects of Google Docs is the ability to share documents, and can collaboratively edit those documents together in real-time across the globe with zero hassle. The collaborators of your Google Docs document can view, comment, and make changes to the document, but it all depends upon the permissions you give to them. So what if you want to make your collaborators only view your Google Docs document? It’s pretty simple! You can make Google Docs view only mode with just a click.
Let’s go through some of the Google Docs sharing options of restricting collaborators to Google Docs view only and controlling document permissions.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Google Docs public sharing
- 2 How to make google docs view only?
- 3 How to Share a Document in Google Docs?
- 4 Google Docs view only link
- 5 Share with people settings
- 6 How to make Google Docs view only using Google Drive?
- 7 How do I turn off editing in Google Docs?
- 8 What is editing mode in Google Docs?
- 9 How to give permission to edit google docs?
Google Docs public sharing
The Google Docs public sharing option makes it possible for you to display a document on the Web for public viewing. Based upon the settings you choose like view, edit, or comment, visitors who browse your Google Docs document online can also edit or comment on it.
You can select this Google Docs public sharing option to share generic Google Docs documents for public viewing. To enable public sharing, you access the Sharing Settings of the Google Docs document.
- How to make Google docs available offline
- Google docs to pdf converter
- How to share Google docs with non-Gmail users
How to make google docs view only?
Google Docs view only is controlled by Visibility Options. The Google Docs documents in Google Drive are private by default. You can make your documents visible to certain collaborators, anyone with a link to the document, or public on the web.
- You can see “Private to only me” pop-over showing that your current Google Docs document is private by default when you hover over the blue colored “Share” button at the top right corner of your Google Docs document.
- When you click on the “Share” button, “Share with people and groups” screen appears.
You can type the names of people from your contact list or the email addresses of people to share your Google Docs document.
- You can choose “Anyone with link” from the Visibility options to provide access to a large group of specific people.
- You can also use the Google Docs “Share with people and groups” screen to turn on the link visibility options. If the link visibility option is turned on, anyone who has a link to your document can access it. It is restricted to “only people added can open with this link” by default.
- To turn on the Link Sharing option, click on the inverted triangle “dropdown” icon next to the restricted option. Click on “Anyone with link”.
- By selecting this option, it is clear that anyone on the internet with this link can view it. You can see that the “Viewer” option is selected by default. This default option ensures that anyone can only view your Google Docs document.
- You can change the settings of viewers, editors, and commenters by using “Share with people settings”.
- Click on “settings icon” at the right corner of the “Share with people and groups” screen.
- “Share with people settings” screen appears that allows you to change people sharing settings. The two options are
- Editors can change permissions and share
- Viewers and commenters can see the option to download, print, and copy
- These two options are checked by default. To make Google Docs view only option, check out the two options.
- This restricts your editors to change permissions and share. And the viewers and commenters can’t able to see the option to download, print and copy. This ensures to make Google Docs view only.
How to make Google Docs view only using Google Drive?
Google Drive is the boon for collaborators to share and modify google Docs documents with other users. If you share a Google Docs view-only file, you can also restrict users to make a copy, download it locally, or print it out. You can also prevent other editors to add other people without your knowledge.
But what if you want to do make Google Docs view only to a bunch of Google Docs files?
You can make Google Docs view only for a bulk of Google Docs documents right from the Google drive without opening your Google Docs.
- All you have to do is open your Google Drive and add all your Google Docs files in a folder.
- To do this Click New > Folder
- Name your folder and insert your Google Docs files.
- Now Double click on your folder
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to the folder name.
- Click on the “Get sharable link” option. This will open up the “share with people and groups” screen.
- To turn on the Link Sharing option, click on the inverted triangle “dropdown” icon next to the restricted option.
- Click on “Anyone with link” and you can see hat the default option is “Viewer”.
- This default option ensures that anyone can only view your Google Docs document.
How do I turn off editing in Google Docs?
Before going to learn how to turn off editing in Google Docs, lets first learn what is editing mode in Google Docs.
What is editing mode in Google Docs?
There are three modes of editing on Google Docs:
- Viewing Mode — Viewing mode only lets you use for reading purposes and printing documents.
- Editing mode — Editing mode allows you to edit documents directly.
- Suggesting Mode — Any edits that you make in this mode show up as suggestions to simply track your changes.
How to give permission to edit google docs?
- The editing option allows other individuals to edit the Google Docs document in real-time.
- You can give permission to edit Google Docs using the “Share with people and groups” screen.
- To give permission to edit Google Docs, click on the inverted triangle “dropdown” icon next to the restricted option. Click on “Anyone with link”.
- This option says that anyone on the internet with this link can view it. You can change this default option to give permission to edit Google Docs. Click on the third option “Editor”.
- This changes a Google Docs document from view only to edit mode.
And that’s it! You can now make Google Docs view only mode using the above-mentioned methods with ease in no time.