Google apps are cloud-based and run straight from Google’s data centers. You will not find a linear way to download Google Docs for desktop or windows 10. But you will find many workarounds to make use of Google Docs offline. It is possible to access all of your Google Docs documents from your PC or Windows 10 by downloading Google Drive. Moving forward, we will discuss how to download Google Docs for desktop or for Windows 10 and we will also discuss how to use Google Docs offline.
How to download Google Docs Latest Version Free? follow the below quick steps for Google Docs free download.
- Navigate to https://www.google.com/drive/download/.
- Click on the “Download Drive for desktop” button.
- Select the location where you want to download, click on Save button to download Google Docs for PC or Windows.
We will discuss the steps in detail in the latter part of the article.
Table Of Contents
- Google Docs free download
- How to download Google Docs for desktop or for Windows 10?
- Google Docs Desktop App
- Google Docs Download For PC (Windows 10)
- Can you work offline with Google Docs?
- Let’s Explore Google Docs For Windows Offline
- Google Docs files download for Desktop for Windows10
- How to download Google Docs Offline for Windows 10 free
- Make Sure, you are meeting the below criteria to turn on Google Docs offline access
- Create Shortcut on for Google Docs Offline Desktop or Windows 10
- Google Apps
- Can you download Google Docs on Windows 10?
- Can I download Google Docs on my PC?
Google Docs free download
You can download Google Docs for desktop or Windows 10 if you wish to use your Google Docs files when you are offline. Google Docs is an online word processor, where your Google Docs documents or files are stored on Google Drive. Once, you will sign in to your Google Drive, you can able to download, create or save your Google Docs documents. If you want you can also able to edit your documents.
In fact, you can get Google Docs as part of your Google Drive for your Desktop or Windows 10. So, If you want the Google Docs desktop version, you can download Google Drive for Windows 10 or desktop.
How to download Google Docs for desktop or for Windows 10?
If you are having a question “Can I install Google Docs on my PC”, then you are at the right place and this section is for you.
Google Docs Desktop App
Simply follow the below quick information to learn how to download and install Google Drive and thus how to download Google Docs on your Windows 10 or desktop.
Google Docs Download For PC (Windows 10)
- The first step is to navigate to the Google Drive Download site.
- Then, Click on the Download Drive for desktop button to download the Google Drive desktop version.
- Now, it will ask you to browse the location from your local Pc where you want to save the GoogleDriveSetup file.
- Choose the location on your PC and click on the Save button. Now, it will download the GoogleDriveSetup file on your selected path.
- To install it, go to the selected location on your computer and double click on the GoogleDriveSetup file for the installation of Google Drive.
- Click on the Yes button to allow the installation on the Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? pop up.
Now Google Drive for Desktop will be installed where you can check the My Drive folder to access Google Docs documents, Google Sheet, etc will get saved. This is the way you can download google docs for windows 10.
Now, you might be thinking Does Google Docs work offline?.
Can you work offline with Google Docs?
Yes, you can able to use Google Docs when you are offline or when you don’t have internet, You can able to create or even edit your Google Docs documents.
Let’s Explore Google Docs For Windows Offline
Since there is no proper website available that allows you for downloading the Google Docs application If you will enable offline use of Google Docs through your Chrome browser that can do wonders for you.
Google Docs files download for Desktop for Windows10
You can directly download your Google Docs file to your computer. by clicking on “File menu> choose Download option” and selecting the format types that you want to be.
How to download Google Docs Offline for Windows 10 free
You can install the Google Chrome extension official version.
Make Sure, you are meeting the below criteria to turn on Google Docs offline access
- Your computer or PC should be connected to the internet.
- You need to use the Google Chrome browser and better not to use any private browsers. Only the Chrome browser can able to access Google Drive offline on your desktop that is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac and also works in the same way on each of the platforms.
- Make sure that the Drive Chrome web app is installed in your Chrome or not. It usually comes as a default option with Chrome browser. You will be prompted to install it before you continue to Google Docs offline version, if you have not yet installed.
- You have to make sure your device has enough space available to save your Google Docs files.
Once you are ready with all the conditions, you are ready to install and turn on Google Docs Offline Chrome extension.
- You need to sign in to your chrome browser and then download the “Google Docs Offline” Chrome extension. For that Naigate to Google Docs Offline –> Click on Add to Chrome button.
- Click on the Add extension button to add the Google Docs Offline chrome extension.
- Now, to open the Google Docs document, Google Sheet, etc offline, you need to navigate to drive.google.com/drive/settings
- Or you can navigate to drive.google.com. then click on the Gear icon i.e the Settings option that is present on right top corner of the screen –> click on the Settings option.
- Now, you can able to see a pop-up that will help you to change the settings.
- select or check the check box “offline” to edit offline and finally, click on “done” button.
You can now edit your Google Docs recent documents and you can work with your Google Docs document, even though you are offline or you don’t have an internet connection.
Shortcut to Save multiple files available offline
A simple shortcut you can use :
- Press Shift or Command for (Mac)/Ctrl for (Windows) while you click other files in order to save multiple files offline.
To preview Google Docs Offline files
- Open your Google Drive account.
- Turn on offline access by clicking “Ready for offline” at the top right of your Google Docs document.
- Click Offline preview.
Create Shortcut on for Google Docs Offline Desktop or Windows 10
If you want to access your Google Docs files faster from your desktop, you just need to create a shortcut to your desktop, and you are done. once you will click on the desktop shortcut, you can able to access your Google Docs App.
To do this,
- Open your favorite browser Google Chrome.
- Open your Google Docs document that you wish to create a shortcut to your desktop.
- Click on the “three vertical dots” that is present at the top right of your document and, then select the “More tools” option.
- Click on the “ Create shortcut” option, now provide a name for the shortcut and then finally, click on the “Create” button.
- Once you click Create, the shortcut will get created on your desktop and you can click on that to open it. This is how do I add Google Docs to my desktop?.
Activate Offline Mode in Google Docs
- Open Google Docs or navigate to https://docs.google.com/. Click on the three bar menu (Main Menu) icon that is present on the top left of the screen and click on “Settings” option.
- You can see below the “Offline” option and just turn on the offline option.
- You will find a new tab that will provide you with the information on the installation of Chrome Web app then you ca confirm if you want to access offline.
What if you want to edit the file
You will get the downloaded version of the copy of your Docs App along with your Google Docs files within some time. Make sure to be online during those times.
Now, you can open Google Docs in your chrome browser and use it even if you are offline. You will find the Google Docs files that are grayed out which are not actually available offline.
- When you will double-click for opening the Google Docs file that is offline. You will find a gray “Offline” icon that is present next to your Google Docs filename.
- You can edit now and all the changes you made are saved automatically. When again you will be online, the changes that you have made will be syncing back to your own account.
- If any files you edited offline is not yet synced, then you will see or fin them in bold type in the list of your Google Docs
- Even, it is possible to create brand new Google Docs documents when you are not connected to internet or you are offline. Once you will be online the newly created Google Docs documents will get uploaded automatically to your Google Docs account.
In the case of a Chromebook
You can check out Google Docs Offline Chromebook for more details.
If you are having a Google business account, then working on Google Docs offline will become easier which is not usually easily available to individual users.
- All you have to do is simply log into the Google Admin console.
- Click on the Apps > select the Google Apps option > Choose Drive option > Then Select the Data Access option.
- Now you need to select or check the “Allow users to enable offline docs” check box and then finally, you need to click on the Save button.
- And now your institution can able to work offline with Google Docs.
Can you download Google Docs on Windows 10?
Yes, you can install the Google Docs Offline Chrome extension on Windows 10 using the above steps.
Can I download Google Docs on my PC?
Yes, you can easily download your Google Docs document. For that, open the Google Docs document –> Click on the Files menu –> Choose Download option.
You may also like following the below articles
- How to shorten Google docs URL
- How to download images from Google Docs?
- How to Make a Brochure on Google docs- 2 Popular Methods
- How to backup Google docs- Using 4 different Methods
- How to get deleted Google docs files back
And that’s it! Simply follow the above instructions to create, edit, and comment on Google Docs in offline mode with no internet by downloading Google Docs for desktop or for Windows 10.