You may not believe it, but removing footnotes in Google Docs is easier than creating them. How, then? You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for an answer to this question! Yes! Using this article, we demonstrate how you can remove footnotes in Google Docs.
We could dive straight into the topic, but first, let’s get a better idea of what a footnote is?
Usually, footnotes are placed at the bottom of a page. References are cited or comments are made on a designated text section. Take the example of a sentence that you have written, and you want to add an interesting comment to it, but the comment isn’t directly related to the argument. This is an appropriate time to add the footnote symbol.
One thing you’ll notice when writing academic papers is that footnotes are common. With them, you can both showcase your work and provide useful context, allowing the reader to see all the research and synthesis you have undertaken.
In fact, footnotes aren’t exclusively for academics, and when used properly, they can provide value to anyone. In general, the most useful footnotes not only provide a brief explanation of where information in the text came from, but also provide access to the source.
Google Docs comes with footnotes built-in, so you can take advantage of them right away.
Table Of Contents
- How to add footnotes in Google Docs
- How to Add a Footnote in Google Docs on Mobile
- How to use the same footnote twice Google Docs
- How to Move Footnotes in Google Docs
- How to remove footnotes in Google docs
- Footnotes and Endnotes: What’s the Difference?
- Is there a difference between footnotes and citations?
- Does there exist a difference between footers and footnotes?
- What Goes in a Google Docs Footnote?
- Final thoughts:
How to add footnotes in Google Docs
To add the footnote to your document, follow these steps.
Step 1: Create a new Google document by Logging into your verified Google account, and then go-to “Google Apps,” and then select “Docs.”
Step 2: You can now start a new Google document by selecting “Blank Document.”
Step 3: Click your cursor at the point in the document that you want to add a footnote (this way, a notation will automatically be added to the correct spot).
Step 4: In the toolbar at the top of the document, select the “Insert” and then the “Footnote” option.
To begin, locate the horizontally aligned menu across the top of your document and select “Insert.” A drop-down menu will appear; select “Footnote” from the menu.
Alternative way: Alternatively, you can do this by pressing the “CTRL + Alt + F” keys instead of step 4.
In this way, you can create a footnote in your Google Doc.
How to Add a Footnote in Google Docs on Mobile
Below are the quick steps to add a footnote in Google Docs App.
- Firstly, double-tap on the specific text that you want your footnote will refer to.
- Now, tap the + button from above.
3. From the below menu, tap on the “Footnote” option.
4. Finally, you can enter the text or content for your footnote. Tap on the tick mark to save the changes.
This is how to add a footnote in Google Docs on Android.
How to use the same footnote twice Google Docs
To use the same footnote twice in Google Docs, You just need to copy-paste the same footnote on the same or different page based on your need. Follow the below steps to copy-paste the same footnote.
- Select the word that contains the footnote or refer to the footnote.
- Then right-click –> Select Copy or You can also select the Keyboard shortcuts CTRL + C for windows. If you are using Mac, you can use the Command + C to copy
- Rightclick on the place where you want to use the footnote –> Select Paste option or You can also select the Keyboard shortcuts CTRL + V for windows. If you are using Mac, you can use the Command + V to paste.
How to Move Footnotes in Google Docs
Well, you just need to follow the below quick steps to move the footnotes in Google Docs.
- First, select the footnote number that you want to move.
- Then drag it anyplace in your Google Docs document by holding your cursor on it.
In this way, you can able to move the footnotes in Google Docs.
How to remove footnotes in Google docs
Now let us see how you can remove the footnote in your Google doc.
To remove the following footnote in your Google docs, you can simply remove the superscript number
In this way, you can remove the footnote in Google Docs.
The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about footnotes.
Footnotes and Endnotes: What’s the Difference?
Only one difference exists between footnotes and endnotes in placement: footnotes appear at the bottom of the page, whereas endnotes appear at the end. Footnotes are likely to capture your reader’s attention more quickly if you want them to read your notes right away. In contrast, endnotes are less intrusive and do not disrupt the flow of your paper.
Is there a difference between footnotes and citations?
A quotation from or reference to a book, paper, or author, especially in academic work, is referred to as a citation. A footnote is a line of text at the bottom of a page that contains further information.
Footnotes, like footers, are found at the bottom of pages. A footnote, on the other hand, pertains exclusively to the page for which the note gives extra information, whereas a footer repeats the same information on every page. You may include as many footnotes as you like in your document.
What Goes in a Google Docs Footnote?
Here are a few things you might want to include in your footnotes:
- A reference to the source of the quote, event, or stat you mentioned in your paper or article
- A cross-reference to similar papers and documents
- An English Translation of the foreign word you mentioned
- It is acceptable to cite the work you mention in the footnotes of your research paper (the author’s last name, the publication date and year, and optionally the page number).
- You can include clickable links to useful resources, tools, or tutorials in a digital document (like an eBook). Footnotes are a convenient place for online sources since they don’t distract from the analysis
- If you want to enrich the vocabulary of your students, you can provide them with term definitions or synonyms.
- Authors can sometimes use endnotes to sarcastically and wittily comment on their work.
You may also like following the below articles
- Evernote Vs Google Docs
- How to make google docs read aloud
- How to bookmark Google docs
- How to make Google docs available offline
- How to add or delete Google docs page break
People today think footnotes are a totally new concept in Google Docs, and there are a lot of steps to adding or removing them. But after reading this article, it’s definitely going to be so easy to add and remove footnotes in Google Docs in five seconds or less!