Google Docs can create documents and spreadsheets with various fonts and file formats, including lists, tables, and images. Even though there are no straightforward ways to set background image in google docs, there are many workarounds that will let you add a background image or color to your Google Docs document.
How to set the background color in google docs? You can change or set the background color quickly with the below 4 steps.
- Open the google docs document where you want to set the background color.
- Click on the “File” menu -> Click on “Page setup”.
- Click on the “Page Color” drop-down and select the desired color as per your requirement.
- Finally, click on the “Ok” button to set the desired color.
We will discuss in detail below.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to set the background color in google docs?
- 2 Google docs Color palette
- 3 How do you set an image behind the text on Google Docs?
- 4 How to set the background image in google docs?
- 5 Change Watermark Transparency in Google Drawings
- 6 How to wrap your image in google docs
- 7 How to change the color of one (single) page in google docs?
- 8 Google docs text background color
- 9 How to remove the background color from the text in google docs
How to set the background color in google docs?
Setting up a background color for your document in google docs is simple and is just a few steps to do.
- Click file > Page setup
- A pop up will open up displaying the option to choose an orientation, paper size, and page color.
- Click the drop-down under “Page color,” located in the bottom of the left corner of pop-up, select your desired color from the list of colors.
Google docs Color palette
When you click on the page color drop-down option, google docs color palette will open. It consists of a variety of colors that allows you to choose one.
You can also customize the color you want by clicking the “custom” option from the color palette. This will help you to use a specific shade or color. You can also insert an HTML color code to find a color you like.
Once you choose the color, click the “OK” button. You can also opt to make this new normal by “set as default” option.
How do you set an image behind the text on Google Docs?
Unfortunately, there’s not a straight way to set an image behind the text on google docs.
There are a variety of options you can insert an image in google docs. But to add a background image, you have to follow the option “Break Text” in the small box that appears below the image you have inserted in your google docs.
Once you inserted your image, click on the “Break Text” option and format it to make your image behind the text.
The best way is you can create two different “drawings” for text and the background image. Then you can select each and click Break Text and move one over the other.
How to set the background image in google docs?
There is a cluster of options to insert an image as a background in your google docs.
- Set the background image in google docs using word file
- How to Set the background image in google docs using Google slides
- Set the background image in google docs using Drawing
- How to Set the background image in google docs using watermark
Set the background image in google docs using word file
Create an image in the word document and customize it according to your needs. Save the file on your computer.
Now Open your Google Docs document.
- Click File > Open
- Click the “Upload” option and select the Word file from your device.
- Right-click on the image and select Image Options.
The Image Options pane will open on the right side of your google docs document. You can adjust the transparency slider to make your image more or less transparent to reveal the text beneath the image.
How to Set the background image in google docs using Google slides
One of the best options for creating a background image in google docs is using Google Slides. This option works well in situations where you give minimum text input.
Create a new blank presentation in Google Slides.
- Click File >Page Setup
- Click Custom. To make your presentation look like an actual background image in Google Docs document, adjust the height to 11 inches and the width to 8.5 inches.
- Click Slide > Change Background
- The Background dialog box will pop up. You can also choose the background color if you wish. To set the background image, click the “Image” button.
- Browse the image you want to set as the background image in google docs and click on “Open”. Once the image is uploaded, click “Done”.
If you want the same background on multiple slides, you have to upload it to each of the slides.
If you want to create the minimum content for your document, add a text box and edit the text after adding your background image.
Once you have created text, you can download the presentation as a PDF and upload it in your google docs.
Steps to Set the background image in google docs using Drawings
Click Insert > Drawing > +New.
A drawing space will be open.
- Click the “ Image” icon to select the image file you want to use as your background image.
- Choose an image to upload from your computer as a background image in google docs.
- Now click the “Text box” icon to insert your text above the background image in google docs.
Add your text, customize the color and font according to your needs, and to best suit with background image in google docs.
Set the background image in google docs using watermark
With the Google Drawings tool, you can create the background image as a watermark to reveal the text beneath the background image in your google docs.
- Open the Google drawings
- Click Insert > Image
- You can upload the image from your personal computer, google drive, google photos, insert an URL, instant camera or by searching for it using the built-in Google images search
Select one of the above-mentioned options to proceed.
Change Watermark Transparency in Google Drawings
To insert google Drawings image as a watermark image in google docs, you have to need to alter the transparency of the image. A watermark image typically has very reduced transparency so that it can sit behind text on a document without blocking the actual content.
To reduce the transparency of the image, follow the below instructions
After inserting the image, right-click on the image and select the “Format Options” button.
This will open up the Format Options menu on the right side of the google drawings.
In the Adjustments tab, move the “Transparency” slider up to reduce transparency.
This will reduce the transparency of the image.
Your watermark image is ready. Now name it. It will automatically get saved in your Google drive storage.
Once you are watermark image or text is ready from google drawing, it’s time to insert it into the document of your google docs.
Click Insert > Drawing
Select your saved Google Drawings image from google drive.
How to wrap your image in google docs
You can also wrap or break your text in google.
This makes floating images in google docs.
Google docs floating image
There are three ways you can make your image floats with text. All you have to do is clicking on the image and choose the option that fits you.
- The “In line” option, treats the image like it’s a piece of text. Words will show up right before and right after the image.
- The second option is “Wrap text” that will wrap the text around your image.
- The third option is “Break text” which makes the text appear below and above the image.
How to change the color of one (single) page in google docs?
Google docs do not support to change the background color of a single page in your google docs document.
One way to do is to create a table of 1×1 row and column and expand the cell to fit in your document’s page.
Then you can format the color of the table by following the below instruction.
Google docs background color in the table
To change the background color of the table, right-click on the table and select table properties.
In the Table properties, click “cell background color” and choose the color that suits your text.
Google docs text background color
You can add or remove the color behind the text you are adding to your document. To add text background color, Follow the below steps
- Click on the text you want to add the background color.
- Click on the “Highlight” color tab at the top of your google docs document and choose the text background color you want.
How to remove the background color from the text in google docs
- If your content is in a table, drag your cursor through the entire table and select Table properties > Cell background color. Change the color to either white or none and click “OK” to update your changes.
- If you want to remove the background color of your text in the paragraph, simply select the text, and click Format > Clear formatting to remove the background color.
You can also use the shortcut “Ctrl + \” in your keyboard to clear the formatting.
- If you want to remove the background color of the entire google document, select all by pressing Ctrl + A.
Now click on the “Highlight Color” tab at the top of your google docs document.
From the color palette, choose either “none” or “white” color.
Follow the above instructions to make your document look more appealing with background image and color.