Google Docs is a very powerful real-time collaborator that allows multiple users to edit a document simultaneously while seeing each others’ changes instantaneously. For any collaboration tool, document security is important since information may be misused in multiple harmful ways. That’s why it is essential to lock or protect Google Docs with a password.
Protecting a Google Docs document will help to block hackers or unauthorized people from accessing your information. Let’s dive deep to know how to lock or protect Google Docs with a password.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to Password Protect Google Docs?
- 2 Password Protect Google Docs
- 3 Can I password protect a Google Doc?
- 4 Password protect for google documents add-on
- 5 How can I protect my drive with a password?
- 6 Tools to password protect Google Docs — PDFelement
- 7 How to lock or protect Google Docs with password – Encryption?
- 8 How to password protect your Google Docs using Secure File Encryption add-on?
- 9 How to upload your password protect Google Docs files in Google Drive?
- 10 Encrypt Google Docs With Boxcrypt
- 11 Encrypt Google Docs with Veracrypt
- 12 Password Protect Google Drive
How to Password Protect Google Docs?
Password Protect Google Docs
As long as you don’t share your Google account password, there is not any way that someone else can access all of your Google Docs documents.
- Google docs invoice template
- How to add Google Docs Image Caption
- Google docs line spacing
- How to recover a file from Google Docs
- Google docs QR code
Don’t share your Google Docs document with anyone
- If you don’t want anyone to publicly access your Google Docs file, stop publishing the Google Docs file.
- You can also restrict Google Docs file-sharing by using a “restricted” sharing option. This ensures Only people added can open with this link
But what if you want to password protect a Google Docs document only?
Can I password protect a Google Doc?
Even though Google Docs doesn’t allow you to password protect your Google Docs document, you can try some tools to do it for you.
Password protect for google documents add-on
- Password protect for google documents add-on allows you to create a password-protected Google Docs document.
- This add-on in the G-suite marketplace allows you to create a password-protected PDF document for Google Documents. You can share this Google Docs file with others directly. Only people who know the password for the Google Docs document can view the document. Simple and easy to use.
- This add-on is absolutely free for those who want to create password-protected Google Docs documents.
How can I protect my drive with a password?
Google Drive is the safest place to store your Google Docs since you have to log into your Google account to access your Google Docs document. However, this security measure alone will not guarantee to lock text in Google Docs.
If anyone else uses your computer or phone, they may also access your Google account just like you do and reach your Google Docs documents.
That’s why you need a secret password for your Google Docs document to protect. Protecting your Google Docs in Google Drive is possible with PDFelement since it ensures that your information remains unreachable even when another person accesses your Google account.
PDFelement is a powerful tool that guarantees you protected Google Docs files in Google drive. You can create the most secure password to lock text in Google Docs and makes it easy to password protect Google Docs document.
You may also like following Google docs tutorials:
- How to share Google docs with non-Gmail users
- open Docx files in Google docs (Google docs to word)
- How to add header and footer in Google Docs
- make google docs read aloud
- How to Create a To-Do List in Google Docs
- Google docs word art
Tools to password protect Google Docs — PDFelement
PDFelement is a powerful security tool that allows you to password protect your Google Docs document.
How to password protect Google Docs using PDFelement?
- To password protect Google Docs, first, download your Google Docs document.
- Once done, open PDFelement and import the downloaded Google Docs document into it.
- To import, select “Open File” and choose the downloaded Google Docs that requires a password.
- To add a password to protect the document, you should first access the encryption options.
- Click the “Protect” tab and choose the “Password” function. This will activate the window for Password Security.
- Choose “Require a password to open the document” and create the password of your choice to protect the downloaded Google Docs document.
- Re-enter the password for confirmation and click ‘ok’ to complete the process of protecting the Google Docs document.
- Now upload the password-protected Google Docs file to Google Drive.
The password protection and redaction of PDFelement guarantee that you can better password protect your Google Docs document.
Key features :
- Approve Google Docs documents by signing digitally
- Unlock image texts using OCR
How to lock or protect Google Docs with password – Encryption?
If you want to keep your Google Docs files safe from prying eyes, encryption is the best way. There are several ways and workarounds you can try to keep your Google Docs documents protected with a password.
Secure File Encryption Drive add-on
One of the best ways to lock and protect your Google Docs document’s sensitive data with a password is to upload your Google Docs files with encryption and then require a password for future access. With a secure file encryption add-on, you can securely store private files in your Google Drive.
Secure File Encryption add-on provides bank-grade AES256 encryption to protect your Google Docs files stored on Google Drive. This add-on ensures no unencrypted data ever leaves your own computer. This add-on uses great browser support from Google Chrome to encrypt your Google Docs files on the fly as they are uploaded to Google Drive and decrypt them during download. There are no size limits to the Google Docs files you can upload.
How to password protect your Google Docs using Secure File Encryption add-on?
- To password protect your Google Docs using Secure File Encryption add-on, first, you have to install the add-on.
- Go to the G-suite marketplace and search for “Secure file encryption”.
- Click the blue-colored “Install” button.
- Secure file encryption will need your permission to start installing. Click continue to proceed. The add-on will get added to your Google Drive.
How to upload your password protect Google Docs files in Google Drive?
- Now, if you want to upload something new, click on the “New” button in Google Drive’s upper left corner, hover over “More,” and select “Secure File Encryption” from the menu that appears.
- This will open up a new window to upload your file.
- Upload the Google Docs document which you want to protect with a password.
- Enter the password to encrypt your files. This same password will be needed to download your Google Docs file.
- You can also customize the name of the Google Docs document.
- It will be encrypted before it leaves your computer!
Encrypt Google Docs With Boxcrypt
Boxcryptor hooks into the cloud-syncing programs already installed on your PC.
All you have to do is,
- Install Boxcryptor into your computer and enable Google Drive in Boxcryptor’s settings, and then access Boxcryptor from Windows Explorer’s sidebar.
- Right-click on Google Docs files you want to password-protect.
- Choose the Boxcryptor > Encrypt option, and ensure the checkbox turn green.
- Once done, you can see the Google Docs files in Google Drive. People won’t be able to access unless you have Boxcryptor installed and logged in.
Encrypt Google Docs with Veracrypt
Veracrypt is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It creates an encrypted container in which you can put your Google Docs files and protect them with a password.
Some workarounds that might protect your Google Docs document
- To protect your Google Docs document, make sure your Google account is as secure as possible. To make it more protective, use a strong password, and enable two-factor authentication.
- You can also protect your laptop or phone with a password.
Password Protect Google Drive
- We use to login to Google drive from our phone as well as from the computer. It is really quick for an unknown person to access Google Drive if you lost any of the devices.
- Another important point to remember here is, add a strong and unique passcode to your Mobile and computer, if you have not done already.
- If you are using iPhone or Ipad, you can use the “passcode lock” settings to lock your Google Drive.
- In case you wish to password protect individual folders in Google Drive, Sorry to say that Google drive is not providing any option as of now, rather what you can do is, you can limit the permission so that no one can update or delete your document.
- You can also use some third-party applications to protect your data in Google Drive. Sookasa can be used for this purpose.
- You can also use PDF encryption here.
- Another suggestion is to use a ZIP file and then password protect it.
These are few suggestion to password protect google drive folder 2020.
And voila! Just follow the above-said workarounds and lock or protect your Google Docs with a password!