This Google drive tutorial, we will discuss how to find duplicate files in google drive. It is not easy finding duplicate files in google drive.
Your google drive’s storage space can be very precious. You may get lost to track the files you upload then and then. The file synchronization function brings convenience to users while also bringing some inconvenience to users. Sometimes, Google Drive can’t detect duplicate documents and uploading the same file repeatedly, which will not only take up your storage space but also bring much inconvenience to you. This might lead you to duplications in them.
Ever wondered how much space can be saved just by clearing all those duplicate files? By doing so, you endure your space in google drive are used to the optimum. Let’s experiment with some of the ways to find duplicate files in Google Drive efficiently in this article.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Why should you consider removing duplicate files from google drive?
- 2 Find duplicate files in Google Drive using Duplicate Sweeper
- 3 How to Find duplicate files in google drive using Easy Duplicate Finder
- 4 The brute force way to find duplicate files in google drive
- 5 Find duplicate files in google drive using Cloud Duplicate Finder
- 6 Find duplicate files in google drive using Duplicate file finder (works only for mac)
Why should you consider removing duplicate files from google drive?
You may wonder what are the benefits are of removing duplicate files?
Say, If using Google Drive for Home/Personal use, you may be paying a fee for additional storage. If so, then eliminating duplicate files may save you some money.
And, If you are synchronizing files to your computer, duplicate files also take up space on your hard drive.
Find duplicate files in Google Drive using Duplicate Sweeper
Now we will see how to find duplicate files in google drive using Duplicate sweeper
Download the duplicate sweeper app from here
You can easily remove duplicate files from Google Drive using Duplicate Sweeper. The steps are as follows.
- Make sure you’ve already set up google drive in your machine.
- Open Duplicate Sweeper and click “Add Folder“.
- Locate and select your Google Drive folder, or a specific folder within the drive that you wish to scan. Click OK.
- Click “Start Duplicate Search“.
- Review the reported duplicates and mark the files that you want to remove.
- Hit “Recycle Selected Duplicates” and then confirm that you wish to remove the selected duplicates.
This is a handy tool that scans selected directories and finds, clears any duplicate files inside Google Drive.
How to Find duplicate files in google drive using Easy Duplicate Finder
Easy Duplicate Finder finds true duplicate files in Google Drive using smart technology that looks beyond the file name.
The best thing is it works on the cloud, so there’s no need to download any of your Google Drive files to your computer. No more hassle spending hours trying to find and remove duplicate files in Google Drive.
Steps to find duplicate files in google drive using Easy Duplicate Finder:
Step 2: Once you have the app launched, select “Google Drive” under “Scan Mode.”
Step 3: Then, log into your Google account, give Easy Duplicate Finder access. When access is granted, this will start scanning your Google Drive file’s metadata to identify duplicates.
Step 4: Review the results & Delete all the duplicate files in just one click.
The brute force way to find duplicate files in google drive
Note: This will not be handy if you’ve changed the file names when making a copy of documents
Let’s see how to get rid of useless duplicate files in Google Drive manually. For this, take the following steps:
1. Open your Google Drive account. Click List View on the upper right corner.
2. Now, all your files are listed here. Long press the control key and click all useless replicas, which start with “Copy of…” or have the same name and a number in the brackets.
3. Right-click any of the selected files and click on Remove to delete all selected duplicate files at once.
Find duplicate files in google drive using Cloud Duplicate Finder
Cloud Duplicate Finder is a web-based app that can work on both computer and mobile devices such as an Android phone.
Step 1: Go to https://www.cloudduplicatefinder.com/. Click Create an Account. Log in to your account.
Step 2: Select GoogleDrive in the left panel, click Add New Drive. Sign in to your Google Account and click Allow to continue.
Step 3: Select one or more Google Drive folders to scan for duplicate files. Click Scan. Once the scan is completed, the result window will pop up showing you the scan result. Click OK.
Step 4: In the main screen, you can manually mark the files you don’t want to keep. Or, you can click the Select Duplicates dropdown list at the bottom to choose the selection option you need.
Step 5: Click Select Action > Permanent Delete to get rid of duplicate photos, documents, and other duplicates in Google Drive.
Find duplicate files in google drive using Duplicate file finder (works only for mac)
The Duplicate File Finder program was created especially for macOS users to get rid of useless duplicates.
If you use a Google Drive client on your Mac, you can quickly find and delete duplicate files with the help of this app.
You can download the app from here
The steps are as follows:
Step 1: Open the Duplicate File Finder app.
Step 2: Click on the Add button and select the Google Drive folder. Or just drag and drop this folder to the application’s window.
Step 3: Then click on the Scan button to proceed.
In the next moment, you will see all duplicates from your Google Drive displayed as a pie chart.
Step 4: Click on Duplicate Files in the menu bar to review the results in detail.
Note: Even if you have renamed a copy of a particular file, Duplicate File Finder detects them as duplicates, in regard to their size, type, and binary data.
Step 5: Select redundant copies and then click on the Review & Remove button.
Finally, you can complete the removal of duplicate files by emptying the Trash bin on your mac.
You may like the following Google drive tutorials:
- How to access WhatsApp on Google Drive
- How do I resize an image in Google Drive
- How to delete recent activity on google drive
- How to turn off quick access in google drive
- How to password protect google drive
- Google drive folder: How to Share, unshare and turn off link sharing
- How to organize google drive shared with me?
- How to pin Google Drive to Taskbar
And that’s cool, right? We’ve seen a lot many ways to find and get rid of duplicates in your google drive. What else are you waiting for? Go and give a try the one that suits your device best. These are a few ways to find duplicate files in Google drive.