Does diagramming the relationship between family members in multiple generations using the family tree still hold up? That’s quite likely to be the case! Creating a family tree on Google Docs has become more efficient and straightforward because Google Docs have more features that help complete your tree creation process in a jiff.
This article describes how to make a family tree in Google Docs in the most straightforward possible manner.
Before starting the process of creating the family tree in Google Docs, let’s first understand what the family tree is along its importance.
Table Of Contents
What is a family tree?
A family tree, often known as a genealogy or pedigree chart, is a traditional tree structure that depicts family or organizational ties. Genograms are more detailed family trees that are employed in medical and social work.
How does adopting a family tree can help?
In general, a family tree starts from the root of the chart, which is usually the one creating it. Each box or ‘leaf’ symbolizes a family member, and lines or ‘branches’ are drawn between them to show their link. In addition, the family tree examines records and sources to assist you in resolving record errors or duplicates.
In what ways does the family tree benefit firms?
An organizational chart for a firm is similar to a family tree for people. It depicts the organization of the company’s many departments and executive levels. Business corporate trees are a terrific method to display the company’s chain of command while also reflecting on the company’s founders and growth over time.
How to create a family tree in Google Docs:
Creating a family tree on Google Docs is relatively easy; follow the below-mentioned steps one-by-one:
Step 1: Go to Google Drive and create a new Google Doc.
Step 2: Go to Insert > Drawing, then select New. A new drawing box will appear.
Step 3: As you can see, the image mentioned above is the exact image of the drawing dialog box where you can create your family tree.
Step 4: As you can see, the close-up view of the Drawing dialog box is enabled with various features such as:
- Action – this option helps you perform various actions such as cut, copy, paste, alignment, orders, and grouping.
- Undo – using this option, the document is returned to its former state by erasing the last modification.
- Redo – This action restores any action that was previously undone by using an undo.
- Zoom – with this action, you can zoom in and out. When you zoom in, you enlarge the text, and when you zoom out, you reduce it.
- Select – this option allows you to select specific elements.
- Line – You can draw various types of lines using this action
- Shape – You can draw multiple types of shapes with this shape action
- Textbox – This allows you to type the text for your family tree
- Image – This option will enable you to upload or drag and drop the image for your family tree.
Step 5: Now let us discuss each drawing dialog box feature in-depth:
- The first is the “Action” feature:
- The “Action” feature that entails elements like: “See version history,” “Download,” “Wordart,” “Cut,” “Copy,” “Paste,” “Duplicate,” “Align horizontally,” “Align vertically,” “Distribute,” “Rotate,” “Show ruler,” “Guides,” “Snap to,” “Order,” “Group,” “Ungroup,” and “Regroup,”
- And then the next is the “undo” and “redo” feature.
- Followed by the “undo” and “redo,” the “Zoom” comes next, and the elements entailed are: “Zoom,” which includes various options such as 50% to 100% zooming options, followed by “Zoom in” and “Zoom out” options. Then the “Show ruler,” “Guides,” “Snap to,” and “Fullscreen.”
- The next is the “Select” option.
Step 6: Next to the “Select” is a “Line” option that entails elements like: “Line,” “Arrow,” “Elbow connector,” “Curved connector,” “Curve,” “Polyline,” and “Scribble.”
You can connect the components of a “Line” feature by attaching each element to the other.
- The next is a “Shape” feature, which entails elements like: “Shapes,” “Arrows,” “Callouts,” and “Equations.” Each element contains various shapes, and the last “Equation” has mathematical symbols such as Plus, Minus, Multiply, Divide, Equal, Not equal, Double bracket, Double brace, left bracket, right bracket, left brace, and right brace.
- Followed by the “shape” is a “Text box” feature, where you add text based on your context. The elements present in each component have distinctive options which enable you to take advantage of various shapes.
- And then is the “Image” feature, and when you click it, a new dialog box will appear.
Step 7: As you can see in the image mentioned above, the image dialog box contains various elements such as: “Upload,” “By URL,” “Your album,” “Google Drive,” and “Search.” Once you are done uploading the images, you can add the licensed image to your family tree.
Step 8: Furthermore, you can only select images that you are sure you have the right to use; failing in such a case would result in a severe copyrights issue.
Step 9: The shapes, images, and text boxes can be added to the space and connected with lines.
Step 10: Double-click the shape to add text.
Step 11: Once you have completed your diagram, click “Save & Close.”
Step 12: In this way, you can create your family tree in Google Docs.
Family trees in a contemporary context:
Medical practitioners can also use family trees to address questions. For example, researchers, epidemiologists, and scientists of many types may uncover vital clues to healing disease encoded in family trees as genetics becomes more advanced.
Create a family tree if, for example, you have a hereditary disease or would like to understand better the likelihood of passing it on to your children. Knowing what medical issues run in your family can help you make vital decisions and perhaps save your life if you learn to seek treatment early.
Few tips for creating a family organization chart:
A few tips that could help you create an awesome family tree in Google Docs are as follows:
- Identify your ancestors by collecting information. Gather information from family members, collect documents and pictures, and make a list of what you know.
· Describe your family tree in broad strokes. Next, create a design using all of the information you’ve gathered.
- Fill up the blanks on each leaf with information.
- Distribute the diagram of your family tree.
How to make a pedigree chart on Google Docs
Well, you can follow the below steps to create a pedigree chart on Google Docs.
- Open the Google Docs Document where you want to make a pedigree chart on Google Docs.
- Click on the Insert menu –> Select Drawing option –> Click on the + New button as shown below.
3. On the Drawing window click on the Shapes button –> Select the Shapes option –> Choose the Rectangle and Draw a Square on the drawing window.
4. Same way, click on the Shapes button again –> select the Shapes option –> Choose the Oval shape –> Draw a circle right next to the square leaving some space in between the square and circle.
5. Now click on the line button and draw a line to connect the square and the circle. Now the complete structure will look like below.
6. Now, change the weight of the connecting line by selecting the line –> click on the Line weight option –> Choose 2px.
7. Well, with the help of the Rectangle, Oval, and the line shapes, draw a structure like below.
8. Now you can select each shape –> click on the background color –> Choose the white color from the list.
9. Same way, for the below two shapes, you can choose the background color as black. Now the complete structure looks like below.
10. Now you can add I, II, III on the left side of each lane. To add that, click on the text box option draw a text box on the left side of each lane, and type I, II, and III. So you have to add three text boxes.
11. Now you are done with the chart. The structure will look like below. Finally, click on the Save and Close button to save the changes to your Google Docs document.
You may also like following the below articles
- How to print multiple pages on one page Google Docs
- How to center text in Google Docs (How to center text vertically in google docs)
- How to overlap images in Google Docs?
- Small Caps Google Docs (How To Do Small Caps In Google Docs)
- Google Docs Newspaper Template
Voila! Make your own family tree and pedigree chart on Google Docs easily just by following the above steps!