Shortened Google Docs URLs are easier to read, type, and memorize. It is proved that branded short links receive up to 39% more clicks than generic links. Custom branded URLs are more trusted in the world of web. Ever since the shut down of Google URL Shortener happened in March 2019, collaborators and business people have been searching for the next best choice. Even though there is no straight way to shorten Google Docs URL, there are few workarounds you can use in hurry situations to shorten google docs URL.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is a Google URL shortener?
- 2 Google URL shortener deprecated
- 3 Add-ons to shorten Google Docs URL
- 4 Advanced URL shortener Add-on – Shorten Google Docs URL:
- 5 Bulk Share URL Shortener – Shorten Google Docs URL
- 6 URL shortener chrome extension – Shorten Google Docs URL
- 7 Firebase URL shortener – shorten Google Docs URL
What is a Google URL shortener?
Google URL Shortener, also known as goo.gl, is a discontinued URL shortening service offered by Google from December 2009 to March 2019. Google URL shortener offers really great analytics features that allow you to see how many people clicked the shortened URL.
Google winded down its service by April 2019 so that users of the Google URL shortener will no longer be able to create new links, but all already created Google short URLs will continue to redirect to their intended location.
- Popular Google Docs add ons
- How to share Google docs with non-Gmail users
- Google docs invoice template
- How to make Google docs view only
Google URL shortener deprecated
Google URL shortener deprecated on March 30 of 2019 where even longtime users will not be able to shorten URLs using the service, but all existing links will continue to redirect to the intended destination. The access was immediately cut off for new and anonymous users by April 2018 and users were restricted to create new links by April 2019.
Add-ons to shorten Google Docs URL
Add-ons are customized extensions of G Suite applications such as Gmail, Google Sheets, and Google Docs providing new capabilities to the G Suite applications for automating tasks quickly. There are various kinds of add-ons available to shorten Google Docs URL. Let’s grab ideas on some of them:
- Advanced URL shortener – Shorten Google Docs URL
- Bulk Share URL Shortener – Shorten Google Docs URL
- URL shortener chrome extension – Shorten Google Docs URL
- Firebase URL shortener – shorten Google Docs URL
Advanced URL shortener Add-on – Shorten Google Docs URL:
Advanced URL shortener add-on for Google Docs is one of the best ways to shorten Google Docs URL that quickly shorten a URL in just one click. Advanced URL shortener add-on for Google Docs is a very good tool that serves to shorten links easily and simply and lets you share it on social networks, and redirect to where you want.
How to install Advanced URL shortener add-on for Google Docs?
- Sign in to your Google Docs and open your document.
- Click Add-ons > Get Add-ons
- The G-suite marketplace will get opened.
- Type “Advanced URL shortener” in the search bar and once you find, click on it.
- Now click on the blue-colored install button.
- Advanced URL Shortener needs your permission in order to start installing. Click on “Continue” to proceed.
- Your “Advanced URL shortener” to shorten Google Docs URL will now be installed and you can find it on Google Docs by Clicking Add-ons
How to use “Advanced URL shortener” to shorten Google Docs URL?
- Click Add-ons > Advanced URL shortener > start.
- A sidebar will be opened on the right side of the document.
- You can shorten the current Google Docs page URL with just a click or by right-clicking on any link.
- You have four options to shorten Google Docs URL. Check the box to choose any of them.
- Shorten selected
- shorten all pages
- expand selected
- expend all pages
- You can view the summary of shortened links using the options
- click summary of selected
- click summary of all
Key features of “Advanced URL shortener”
- The shortened URLs of Advanced URL shortener not very well with the safari browser.
- The published shorten links of “Advanced URL shortener” in any platforms like blogs or any other website are interminable.
- You can easily convert an extensive link in just short digits that contain the address of your Google Docs using Advanced URL shortener.
- Advanced URL shortener keeps a record of the number of visits to that link and keeps statistics of them.
Bulk Share URL Shortener Add-on for Google Docs shortens the long link of the Google Drive files. You can get rid of long, nasty URLs with this add-on that immediately shortens URLs in the blink of an eye. Google Drive usually does not offer a shorten URL for sharing links. Bulk Share URL Shortener shortens the long link of the Google Drive sharing the link, and any Google Docs files URLs.
The installation process and using Bulk share URL shortener is quite similar to “Advanced URL shortener”
- Bulk Share URL Shortener Add-on shorten your Google Docs URL effortlessly.
- Bulk Share URL Shortener Add-on currently supports “bit.ly” shorten URLs.
- Bulk Share URL Shortener Add-on displays the click counter and statistics such as the number of clicks, countries click, pages referring click of the Google Docs shorten URL.
- You can also check the download count of your Google Docs shorten link.
- You can also create shorten URLs anonymously.
- You can also manage short URLs on bit.ly site.
- You can also directly create shorten URLs of your Google Docs files from the “Bulk Share URL Shortener” website.
URL shortener chrome extension – Shorten Google Docs URL
URL shortener chrome extension lets you quickly shorten Google Docs URL in just one click.URL shortener chrome extension is the best way to create short URLs using T.ly, Bitly, Rebrandly, TinyUrl, is.gd and to.ly, and many more formats.
URL shortener chrome extension has good success notifications, can be bound to a shortcut, and has a context menu entry also. The shortened URLs links are not only generated but automatically copied to the clipboard.
How to install URL shortener chrome extension?
- Go to chrome extension and search for “URL shortener”.
- Click “Add to chrome”.
- Your URL shortener chrome extension will now be added to your Google account.
You have to just click the URL shortener extension to shorten the current Google Docs page URL or by right-clicking on any link.
Key features of “URL shortener” to shorten Google Docs URL
- You can easily shorten any link
- You can set link expiration by date or number of clicks on your own
- URL shortener supports T.ly, iBit.ly, TinyUrl, Bit.ly, is.gd, Cutt.ly, Brevis, Linkin, and many more link shortener services.
- You can add your own T.ly API key and Bit.ly API key
- You can use your own custom domain name with the Rebrandly API
- URL shortener automatically copies shortened URL to the clipboard
- You can also right-click to shorten URL and copy to clipboard if you need it.
- URL shorter also generates QR code
Firebase URL shortener – shorten Google Docs URL
Google turned down support for goo.gl and replaced it with Firebase Dynamic Links (FDL). Firebase Dynamic Links shorten Google Docs URLs that allow you to send existing and potential users to any location within an iOS, Android, or web app. That is the shortened URL links created using Firebase Dynamic Links contain a brief string that represents the iOS or Android app that could be used to open the link. Firebase Dynamic Links allows you to make your own version of creating shortened links for Google Docs.
You can now promote the sharing of your Google Docs URL, track clicks, fit less content in links with ease by using the above-mentioned workaround to shorten Google Docs URL.