Entering accents into your Google Docs document can be a little tricky. Accent marks are diacritic marks, which are added to a letter or character to set them apart from others and “give it a particular phonetic value, to indicate stress, etc.”
How to add accents in Google Docs? Below are the 4 best ways to add accents in Google Docs.
- Using Keyboard shortcuts.
- By Using Google Docs add-ons ( for example “Easy Accents” )
- Using Chrome Extensions (Special Characters Chrome extension )
- By using free online tool (Google Input Tools online).
Table Of Contents
How to add accents in Google Docs
Let’s explore the different ways to use accents in Google Docs in detail.
Using Keyboard shortcuts.
Using Keyboard Shortcuts to create accents is the easiest way. This gives you the flexibility to not remember everything and just by pressing some keys together, you can create accents in Google Docs easily.
Here are some of the keyboard shortcuts to create accents in Google Docs in Windows and Mac.
|Keyboard Shortcuts to use Accents|
|Accents||If are using Windows||For Mac Users|
|For ” Á “||Press Alt+0193 keys||Press Option+e, Shift+a key|
|For ” á “||Press Alt+0225 keys||Press Option+e+a key|
|For ” É “||Press Alt+0201 keys||Press Option+e, Shift+e key|
|For ” é “||Press Alt+0233 keys||Press Option+e+e key|
|For ” Ó “||Use Alt+0211 keys||Press Option+e, Shift+o key|
|For ” ó “||Use the Alt+ 0243 keys||Press Option+e+o key|
|To get ” Ú “||Use Alt+0218 keys||Press Option+e, Shift+u keys|
|For ” ú “||Use Alt+0250 keys||Press Option+e+u key|
|For ” Ñ “||Use Alt+0209 keys||Use Option+n, Shift+n keys|
|Use ” ñ “||Press Alt+0241 keys||Press Option+n+n keys|
|For ” ¡ “||Use Alt+0161 keys||Press Option+1 keys|
Using Google Input Tools
If you are using accented letters in Google Docs very often, then trying Google Input Tools might be the best option. You can install this readily available application from the Google Chrome Web Store. To do so,
Step 1: Open the Google Input tool online.
Step 2: From the right side of the window, choose the “Special Characters” option. There are multiple ways, you can find the accented letter, just search for the letter you want on the search bar.
You can also draw the accented letter.
Step 3: You can click on the accent you want to use, it will add to the editor of the tool.
Step 4: Select the accented letter from the editor, Use Ctrl + C to copy it or you can right-click and choose the copy option to copy the accented letter.
Step-5: Right-click and choose the Paste option in your Google Docs document or you can also press Ctrl + V to paste the accented letter on your Google Docs.
you still use keyboard shortcuts to get the desired accents in Google Docs.
Using “Google Docs Add-ons”
There are plenty of add-ons that you can use to add accents in Google Docs. Some of those extensions are :
- Easy Accents
- Special Characters Chrome extension
Easy Accents Add On for Google Docs
Follow the below steps to install and use the Easy Accents Add-On in Google Docs.
- Navigate to Google Docs and open the Google Docs document where you want to add the Accents.
- Click on the Add-Ons menu –> Select the Get Add-Ons option.
- Search for “Easy Accents” and click on the search result “Easy Accents” add-ons.
4. on the next screen, click on the Install button.
5. Click on the Continue button on the next Pop-up.
6. Select your Gmail account, then click on the Allow button on the next screen.
7. Finally, Click on the Done button to finish the installation.
8. Now to use the Easy Accents Google Docs Add-on, Click on the Add-ons menu –> Select Get Add-ons –>Click on Easy Accents – Start.
9. This will open a side panel. Choose the desired language that you want from the drop-down menu. Place the cursor where you want to add the letter.
10. Choose the corresponding option or button. Note that you need to hold the Shift key while selecting the letter if you want to use an uppercase letter.
You may also like following the below articles
Voila! It’s time to create your own accents in Google Docs!
I am Rajkishore, and I have over 14 years of experience in the Software Industry. For a long time, I have been using Google Docs, Google Drive, and Google Sheets for my document usage, and I am sharing all the tips and tricks, the challenges I have come across, and their solutions to use Google Docs for your day-to-day use. I hope you will learn from these practical Google Docs tutorials. Read more.