Most of the time you need to use the APA format. If you are a student or professional, you will have the requirement to use the APA format or even template in Google Docs.
Here, we will discuss the steps to set up APA format in Google Docs but before that, Let’s discuss quickly what is APA format.
Table Of Contents
What is APA format?
There are some basic rules that you need to follow while working with APA format in Google Docs and those are as below.
- You should use a font like Times New Roman and the font size is 12.
- Should contain a title page.
- Must contain a header where you need to specify the page number and title.
- Keep a margin of 1 inch from all the sides of your document (Default margin from Google Docs so no need to worry).
- Don’t use any extra space or unnecessary space between the paragraphs in your Google Docs document.
- Don’t forget to use double-spaced text.
- Finally, at the end of your page, use a references page, and don’t forget to include In-text Citations.
How to set up Google Docs APA template
Follow the below steps to use the Google Docs APA template
- Navigate to https://docs.google.com/, and click on the + (Blank) option to create a new document.
- Click on File menu –> Select New –> Choose Template gallery.
3. On the Template gallery, navigate to the Education category and select Report (APA 6th ed) or Report (APA 7th ed).
4. The document with some dummy text will open. The template contains all the formatting needed for the APA format. You just need to modify the text based on your requirement and keep the format as it is.
How to Do APA Format on Google Docs
Let’s discuss the step-by-step process to set up APA style on Google Docs.
- Navigate to https://docs.google.com/, and then click on the + (Blank) option for creating a new document for the APA style.
- Choose Times New Roman as the font and then choose the font size as 12.
3. Now, you need to insert the header, you can click on the Insert menu –> select Headers & Footers –> Choose Header.
4. Now type Running head: then a space and then enter your title in capital letter. at the header and make sure the font is Times New Roman and the font size is 12.
5. Now, is the time to insert the page numbers. Click on the Insert menu –> select #Page numbers –> Choose the first option.
6. Make sure to select the “Different first page” option. Use the space bar to align the page number towards the right.
7. Now, make sure to use double-spaced text. For that click on just below the header, click on the Format menu –> Select Line & paragraph spacing –> choose Double option.
8. Now, type the full title of your paper, your full name, and the name of your school in separate lines. select the complete text and click on the Center align button.
9. Hit enter 2 times to keep some space and then type Author Note if required, make it center-aligned, and then in separate lines, specify a bit description for each of the paragraphs.
9. Now, type Abstract and then make it center-aligned.
10. Press the tab and then write the abstract.
11. To start a new page, you need to add a page break. Click on the Insert menu –> Select Break –> Choose Page Break. Complete the content for the body of your paper.
12. You can add another Page Break to add the reference page. Type References and then make it center aligned.
13. Finally, add in-text citations.
You may also like following the below articles
- How To Alphabetize In Google Docs
- How to create a folder in Google docs?
- How to recover a file from Google Docs
- How to use Google docs numbered list
- How to check word count on Google docs
Well, we have seen how easy to set up APA format in Google Docs. Now it’s your turn to do APA format on Google Docs.