Want to change language in Google docs? Check out a detailed article on how to change Google docs language.
We live in a multilingual diversified world where eventually people speak different languages but comfortable one stable one based on their region. Most of us tend to read and write comfortably in one language, thus it’s obvious to face a situation where you’ll require to translate a document or write something in a foreign language.
There are more than 7,000 distinct languages in the world. If you speak English, your words might be understood by roughly 15% of people around the world, and that includes people for whom English is a secondary language. Thus language plays a crucial role while dealing with documents.
This could be a long and painstaking one with popular word processing programs Google has made it super simple. Let’s explore the way by which we can change the language on Google Docs in this article.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Change Google docs language
- 2 Change language in Google Docs to type in a different language
- 3 Change default language on Google
- 4 How to type accents in Google docs?
- 5 How to change the language in Google sheets?
- 6 How to change Google Docs Language to change your Typing Language
- 7 How to change Google Docs language through voice typing?
- 8 How to change the language on google docs mobile?
Change Google docs language
Google Docs offers multiple input tools for non-Latin languages to make it easier to type in other languages like Russian, Arabic, and Hindi, etc. Whether it’s a new document or an already written one, you can change language any time and the change won’t affect the already written content.
Google Docs supports around 70 languages on the web, Android, and iOS. For each supported language, user interfaces need to enable various things such as the use of application capabilities, input methods that capture words efficiently, fonts that display all characters clearly, and spellcheck and autocorrect services that identify potential errors and offer alternatives accurately.
Steps to change the language in Google Docs to translate a document:
Following are the steps to be followed in changing the language in Google docs,
Step 1: Open Google docs in your browser
Step 2: Open the document in Google Docs that you want to translate.
Step 3: In the menu at the top of your screen, click “Tools.”
Step 4: Select the “Translate document” option.
Step 4: In the pop-up box that appears, type a name for the translated file and choose the language that you want to translate it to via the dropdown menu shown.
Step 5: Click “Translate.” A new window will then appear with your translated document.
Change language in Google Docs to type in a different language
Step 1: Open Google Docs in your browser
Step 2: Create a new document or open an existing document that you’ve just started working with.
Step 3: In the top menu bar, click the “File” option
Step 4: Scroll down and select “Languages,”
Step 5: Then choose the language that you want to type in by clicking on it.
Note: When you choose a non-Latin language, the “Input tools menu” will show in the toolbar. To enter non-Latin characters like Hindi or Chinese, click the Down arrow next to the “Input tools menu.”
You can also open the “Input tools menu” by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Shift + k (PC) or ⌘ + Option + Shift + k (Mac) on your keyboard.
Common problems you would encounter on changing language in Google:
Firstly, to check your Google Account language, open your Google Account. You should see the language that has been selected.
Problems can be of any one of the below types,
- The language change didn’t work: If your Google Account doesn’t match the language you selected, clear your browser’s cache and cookies and try setting the language again.
- Note: Deleting cookies will also remove your saved settings for other sites you’ve visited.
- My language isn’t listed: If you choose a primary language that isn’t supported by some products, we may ask you to select an alternate language. If this is needed, you’ll see your alternate language listed beneath your primary language in the Language section of your Google Account. You can select it to change it.
Change default language on Google
Instead of changing the language on Google docs explicitly, you can change the default language settings of your Google account.
How to change the default language on Google?
To change the default language on Google, follow the below steps:
Step 1: Go to myaccount.google.com.
Step 2: Go to Data & personalization > General preferences for the web > Language.
Step 3: Click on Language > Add another language.
Step 4: Add the languages that you need.
Step 5: To switch to English (UK) or (US), click on English and list countries will appear. Choose the one you need.
Step 6: Use the “up” arrow in the language panel to move the language you want into the “default” position.
How to type accents in Google docs?
To type accents in Google Docs, follow the below steps,
Step 1: Open Google docs on your browser
Step 2: On the toolbar at the top of the document, click “Insert”.
Step 3: Choose “Special characters”.
Step 4: Change “Symbol” to “Latin“.
Step 5: Find the letter with the accent you need, click on it, then OK.
Step 6: It should now be in your document!
How to change the language in Google sheets?
The Google Translate formula in Google Sheets provides you with an easy access list of what you know, or want to know.
To get started simply enter a word in one language in a cell, and then use the formula =GOOGLETRANSLATE(cell with text, “source language”, “target language”) in another cell to translate it. You can even drag the fill handle at the bottom of the formula cell down to apply this formula to more than one cell.
Example: Translating English words into Spanish: =GOOGLETRANSLATE(A2, “en”, ”es”)
This formula works for all languages supported by Google Translate. You’ll just need to know the 2-letter code for the language, which you can find on this list.
To change the default locale for all your spreadsheets, you can do so from Document Settings => click the cog in the top right corner and change the Language and Time Zone.
Pros of Google translate:
- Google Translate is free.
- Google Translate is quick.
- Google Translate uses a statistical method to form an online translation database based on language pair frequency.
Cons of Google translate:
- With Google Translate the meaning can be “lost in translation” because there is no way to incorporate context.
- The quality of translation is dependent on the language pair.
- Google Translate often produces translations that contain significant grammatical errors.
- Google Translate does not have a system to correct for translation errors.
How to change Google Docs Language to change your Typing Language
Well, here you can simply change the typing language so that whatever you write from your keyboard, the document will create a translation word or sentence of it. This is a more accurate way as you can make the corrections likewise.
- Open a document on Google Docs.
- Click on File from the menu above.
- Now, scroll down and click on Languages.
- Select the language you wish to change to.
Well, there are certain aspects that you need to know after you select the typing language. We know that our keyboards have the letter in the English alphabet, so the real question is how would you be able to type in any other language. Here are certain instructions that you need attention too.
If you have selected a non-Latin language such as Hindi or Chinese, you can pick the right option from the “Input Tool Menu”. You can summon this menu option by pressing on Ctrl + Alt + Shift + k for PC users, while Command + Option + Shift + k for Mac users.
There are basically three options from the drop-down menu that you can choose from. They are Phonetic input, Inscript, and Handwriting. You can type the spelling of a word and choose from the suggestion in the language suggested, use a virtual keyboard, or draw characters and then choose the right letter or word respectively.
How to change Google Docs language through voice typing?
Have you tried the latest Google Docs voice typing function yet? If you haven’t, there is no better to start doing it. Also, here are the steps you can use to checking the language in which you would be speaking and the document will display words as you say in the same language.
- Press Command + Shift + S to open the Voice Typing feature.
- Press on the down arrow to display the list of languages.
- Select the languages you prefer.
Now, the docs will write in the language you have chosen which is a lot easier and comfortable too than typing each word.
How to change the language on google docs mobile?
Well, as of now the tech giant has provided no features that allow users to change the language of their Google Docs documents to another language from their mobile phone. Or aunty other feature related o changing the typing language.
You need to open it on your computer and then follow the steps mentioned above. The same goes for iPad users as well.
You may like following like the following Google docs tutorials:
- How to insert signature (E sign) in Google docs
- How to save Google docs as pdf
- How to send Google doc as an attachment in Email
- How to delete a page in Google docs
- Google docs vertical alignment
- How to add or delete Google docs page break
- Google docs version control or track changes
- How to sort Google docs alphabetically
- How to use Google docs strikethrough
- How to add watermark in Google Docs
- Google docs night mode
Here is the complete info you need while looking to change the language on your Google Docs. Either be it typing language or simply translating the document. However, make sure that you try out these steps only on your desktop version since these settings are not available for your mobile version either be it Android or iOS.
For this, you will have to open your desktop and make the necessary changes. As of now, Google Docs support about 70 languages that you can select from. The tech giant is looking to add more languages in the future so that more and more people can connect to it and increase its user base and customer experience.
I hope you would be super clear to use Google’s language and translation features from now on. Has the article provided the steps on how to change Google docs language? Keep experimenting.