Want to change language in Google docs? Check out a detailed article on how to change Google docs language or Google Docs change language.
We live in a multilingual diversified world where eventually people speak different languages but comfortable one stable one based on their region. Most of us tend to read and write comfortably in one language, thus it’s obvious to face a situation where you’ll require to translate a document or write something in a foreign language.
Approximately, 15% of in the world can understand English. Thus language plays a crucial role while dealing with documents since there are many languages available in the world.
This could be a long and painstaking one with popular word processing programs Google has made it super simple. Let’s explore the way by which we can change the language on Google Docs in this article.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Change Google docs language
- 2 Change language in Google Docs to type in a different language
- 3 How to translate a read-only document on Google Docs?
- 4 Change default language on Google
- 5 How to translate content on Google Docs using Google translate?
- 6 How to change Google Docs Language to change your Typing Language
- 7 How to change Google Docs language through voice typing?
- 8 How to change the language on google docs mobile?
- 9 How To Change Google Docs Language To English
- 10 How To Change Language On Google docs ipad
- 11 Google Docs Translate PDF
- 12 Google Docs Translate Plugin
Change Google docs language
Google Docs offers multiple input tools for non-Latin languages to make it easier to type in other languages like Russian, Arabic, and Hindi, etc. Whether it’s a new document or an already written one, you can change language any time and the change won’t affect the already written content.
It supports approx 70 languages. For each supported language, user interfaces need to enable various things such as the use of application capabilities, input methods that capture words efficiently, fonts that display all characters clearly, and spellcheck and autocorrect services that identify potential errors and offer alternatives accurately.
Different ways to translate documents in Google Docs
There are many ways for changing the language in Google docs. The most commonly used 4 ways are,
- In-built translate support
- Using google translate
- Changing the default language on Google Docs
- Using voice typing
Steps to change the language in Google Docs to translate a document:
Step 1: Open Google docs in your browser
Step 2: Open the document in Google Docs that you want to translate.
Step 3: In the menu at the top of your screen, click “Tools.”
Step 4: Select the “Translate document” option.
Step 4: In the pop-up box that appears, type a name for your translated file and choose the language that you want to translate it to via the dropdown menu shown.
Step 5: Click “Translate.” A new window will then appear with your translated document.
Change language in Google Docs to type in a different language
Step 1: Open Google Docs in your browser
Step 2: Create a new document or open an existing document that you’ve just started working with.
Step 3: From top menu bar, click the “File” option
Step 4: Scroll down and select “Languages,”
Step 5: Then choose the language that you want to type in by clicking on it.
How to translate a read-only document on Google Docs?
There can be times you will be shared documents with restricted access. But, you might feel comfortable reading it in your favorite language. But, how? Since it’s read-only you can directly translate the source document. No worries there’s always a way to it.
You can make a copy of the document and translate it as done before. Easy right? The steps are as follows,
Step 1: Open Google docs in your browser
Step 2: Open the document in Google Docs that you want to translate.
Step 3: Now click on the File menu and then select Make a copy.
Step 4: Give it a desired name and then click on Ok.
Step 5:Click “Tools.” from the menu bar at the top of your Google Docs screen.
Step 6: Now select the “Translate document” option.
Step 7:A pop-up box will appear when you select the “Translate Document” option
Give a name for your translated file by typing in the box. A dropdown has a list of languages. Choose the language that you want to translate.
Step 8: Click “Translate.” A new window will then appear with your translated document.
That’s it now your document is translated.
Common problems you would encounter on changing language in Google:
Firstly, to check your Google Account language, open your Google Account. You should see the language that has been selected.
Problems can be of any one of the below types,
- The language change didn’t work: If your Google Account doesn’t match the language you selected, clear your browser’s cache and cookies and try setting the language again.
- Note: Deleting cookies will also remove your saved settings for other sites you’ve visited.
- My language isn’t listed: If you choose a primary language that isn’t supported by some products, we may ask you to select an alternate language. If this is needed, you’ll see your alternate language listed beneath your primary language in the Language section of your Google Account. You can select it to change it.
Change default language on Google
Instead of changing the language on Google docs explicitly, you can change the default language settings of your Google account.
How to change the default language on Google?
To change the default language on Google, follow the below steps:
Step 1: First visit the myaccount.google.com site.
Step 2:Click on the Personal info option.
Step-3: From the “General preferences for the web” section –> choose Language –> Change your preferred language.
Step 4: To switch to English (UK) or (US), click on English, and list of countries will appear. Choose the one you need.
Step 5: Use the “up” arrow in the language panel to move the language you want into the “default” position.
How to translate content on Google Docs using Google translate?
Step 1: Visit https://translate.google.co.in/ on your browser
Step 2: Copy-paste your text over the first section.
Step 3: Google would automatically detect the language for now. Just verify if the source language is correct.
Step 4: Choose the language you wish to translate from the list on the right of the screen.
Step 5: Your text would be easily translated now. You can now copy-paste it back to Google Docs. You can also share it personally via Email/Twitter.
Likewise, you can also switch to the alternate tab where you can pick documents from your computer and translate them. However, you need to first download your Google Doc in some supported format prior. (not recommended)
How to change Google Docs Language to change your Typing Language
Well, here you can simply change the typing language so that whatever you write from your keyboard, the document will create a translation word or sentence of it. This is a more accurate way as you can make the corrections likewise.
- Open a document on Google Docs.
- Click on File from the menu above.
- Now, scroll down and click on Languages.
- Select the language you wish to change to.
Well, there are certain aspects that you need to know after you select the typing language. We know that our keyboards have the letter in the English alphabet, so the real question is how would you be able to type in any other language. Here are certain instructions that you need attention too.
If you have selected a non-Latin language such as Hindi or Chinese, you can pick the right option from the “Input Tool Menu”. You can summon this menu option by pressing on Ctrl + Alt + Shift + k for PC users, while Command + Option + Shift + k for Mac users.
There are basically three options from the drop-down menu that you can choose from. They are Phonetic input, Inscript, and Handwriting. You can type the spelling of a word and choose from the suggestion in the language suggested, use a virtual keyboard, or draw characters and then choose the right letter or word respectively.
How to change Google Docs language through voice typing?
Have you tried the latest Google Docs voice typing function yet? If you haven’t, there is no better to start doing it. Also, here are the steps you can use to checking the language in which you would be speaking and the document will display words as you say in the same language.
- Press Command + Shift + S to open the Voice Typing feature.
- Press on the down arrow to display the list of languages.
- Select the languages you prefer.
Now, the docs will write in the language you have chosen which is a lot easier and more comfortable too than typing each word.
How to change the language on google docs mobile?
Well, as of now the tech giant has provided no features that allow users to change the language of their Google Docs documents to another language from their mobile phone. Or aunty other feature related o changing the typing language.
You need to open it on your computer and then follow the steps mentioned above. The same goes for iPad users as well.
How To Change Google Docs Language To English
Well, it’s quite easy to change Google Docs language to English using the below steps.
- Navigate to Google Docs (https://docs.google.com/) and click on the + (Blank) option to create a blank document or you can open any of your existing Google doc.
- Click on the File menu option.
- Now select the Languages –> Click on the English language.
How To Change Language On Google docs ipad
If you are using the iPhone or iPad, the quickest way is to change the language of your iPhone or iPad. Once you will change the language on your iPhone or iPad, the language for all apps on your iPhone or iPad will change.
You can follow the below quick steps to change the language on your iPhone or iPad.
- The first step is to open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Then tap on the General option –> Select Language & Region –> tap on iPhone or iPad language.
- Select the language based on your requirement.
- Finally, tap Done.
Google Docs Translate PDF
You can translate your PDF in Google Docs easily using the below steps.
- Navigate to https://docs.google.com/.
- Click on the File menu –> Open option.
3. On the Open a File window, click on the Upload tab –> Click on the Select a file from your device button and choose the PDF file that you want to translate –> Click on the Open button.
4. Click on the Open with drop-down –> Select the Google Docs option.
5. Click on the Tools menu –> Select the Translate document option.
6. On the Translate document window, Provide the New Document name and then select the translated language from the dropdown. Finally, click on the Translate button.
7. Now it will translate the PDF to the selected language. Click on the File menu –> Select Download option –> Choose PDF Document (.pdf) option and select the path where you want to download the PDF document.
Google Docs Translate Plugin
You can find a few translate plugin in Google Docs. Those are as below
- Docs Paragraph Translate
- Translate All
- Translate with ScratPad
You may like following like the following Google docs tutorials:
- How to save Google docs as pdf
- How to send Google doc as an attachment in Email
- How to delete a page in Google docs
- Google docs vertical alignment
- How to add or delete Google docs page break
- Google docs version control or track changes
- How to sort Google docs alphabetically
- How to use Google docs strikethrough
- How to add watermark in Google Docs
- Google docs night mode
- How to use accents in Google Docs
Here is the complete info you need while looking to change the language on your Google Docs. Either be it typing language or simply translating the document. However, make sure that you try out these steps only on your desktop version since these settings are not available for your mobile version either be it Android or iOS.
For this, you will have to open your desktop and make the necessary changes. As of now, Google Docs support about 70 languages that you can select from. The tech giant is looking to add more languages in the future so that more and more people can connect to it and increase its user base and customer experience.
I hope you would be super clear to use Google’s language and translation features from now on. Has the article provided the steps on how to change Google docs language? Keep experimenting.