Google docs are being used by almost all age groups ranging from school kids to high profile employees. But, the level of understanding varies between groups. The format of documents that commodities expect also varies.
To do MLA format on Docs, you can use the existing Google Docs template (Report MLA add-on) or Create your own settings.
Companies expect you to document things in a much more professional format. Thus, schools also train you with such standards as practice.
As a student or professional, it is good to know how to do MLA format on Google Docs. What is MLA format on Google Docs? Why is it required? How to use it on Google Docs? Let’s try to find answers to all the above questions in this article.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is MLA format?
- 2 The most important points to remember while working with the MLA format
- 3 Different ways to do MLA format on Google Docs
- 4 How to use MLA format on Google docs with settings pre-configured – template way?
- 5 How to use MLA format on Google docs on your own?
- 6 How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad/iPhone
- 7 MLA Cover Page Google Docs
- 8 MLA Format Add On Google Docs
- 9 MLA Outline Template Google Docs
What is MLA format?
Although we are required for various formats while making documents, some standard formats like MLA are in demand always.
MLA format helps the users or readers for better readability. It is suggested to use this format to maintain a proper standard of your content and to maintain consistency across your content for better looks.
The most important points to remember while working with the MLA format
- Try using the font as Times New Roman or serif. but better to use Times New Roman and the font Size as 11 or 12 and suggesting to use 12.
- Better to use the margin 1-inch from top, bottom, left or right sides.
- Avoid using extra spaces between different paragraphs in your content.
- On your first page, left side mention the details on the name of your topic,your name, the name of your teacher, date, etc.
- The title should be centered aligned and you should place it, just on top of body content.
- APA Format On Google Docs
- How To Make A Table On Google Docs
- How to format works cited on Google Docs
- How To Do A Hanging Indent On Google Docs?
Different ways to do MLA format on Google Docs
There are 2 ways, one is to use a template with all the settings preconfigured and the other way is to perform the settings yourself.
- Approach – 1: Using Google Docs Existing Templates
- Approach- 2: Using your Own customized settings (The suggested approach)
How to use MLA format on Google docs with settings pre-configured – template way?
We might have used various templates available on Google Docs for our day-to-day documenting purposes.
Steps in setting up MLA format on Google Docs:
The following steps are required to set up an MLA format on Google Docs,
Step 1: Create a new blank Google Docs document and then click on the File menu —> Select New –> then click on From template option.
Step 2: Select the Report MLA add-on as highlighted below.
Step 3: Modify the template with all your information.
Hurray, we are good to go now without much hassle.
How to use MLA format on Google docs on your own?
Although the template way is easy, you might not use the template way each time. Sometimes the document you are up to present could have much priority and should ensure proper formatting covering each and every aspect. In such cases, it’s good to configure on your own.
Changes to be done to do MLA format on Google Docs:
Font and font-size:
- Modify and use the Times New Roman font and 12 as the size of the font.
The moment you will create a brand new empty Google Docs document, Arial will be the default font and the size of the font will be 11.
- By default Google Docs basically, uses the 1 inch margin for all the top,bottom, right, and left.
This is the same required for MLA format as well, thus needs no change.
- Click on the Insert menu –> seect Header & footers –> choose Header.
- Update Times New Roman as the font and the size to 12.
- click on Right Align option from top.
- Now hit Enter key two times.
- Now, enter the Last Name and hit Spacebar.
- Following it click on the Insert menu –> Select page numbers –> Choose the first option.
Line spacing as double spaced:
Click on Line Spacing button –> then click Double.
Information on your First-page:
- Initially, enter the full name and hit the Enter key.
- Then, Enter the name of your teacher –> hit Enter.
- Now, type the title of your course –> hit Enter.
- Enter the submission date for your paper –> press Enter key.
- Click Center align button. Make your title proper and the important point is, For formatting the title do not use capital letter, bold, underline, etc. –> Once, you have formated your title –> hit Enter key.
6. Now, click on Left Align icon.
7. Finally to make an indent 1/2 inch, hit Tab key.
That’s it done with the first-page information.
How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad/iPhone
Follow the below steps
- Open the Drive app on your iPad or iPhone.
- Click on the + icon that is present on the bottom right of the screen –> Choose Google Docs.
- Provide a name for your new document. You can enter a name something like “MLA Template” –> Then click on the Create button.
- Click on the three dots (…) that is present on the top right corner of the screen –> Enable the Print Layout option.
- Click twice on the top of the screen, you will notice a line will appear.
- Select the right justify or right alignment button.
7. Type your last name followed by a space to add a number next to the last name. So choose the + button from the top –> Choose Page number option –> Then choose the first Icon.
8. Select the complete text i.e the name with the number and then click on the A icon at the top right –> Change the font as “Times New Roman” and modify the Font Size as “12 pt“. Then click on the empty part of the document, Now it should look like below.
9. Click on the A icon again and select the font as “Times New Roman” and the Font Size to “12 pt“. Then choose the Paragraph tab and make the Line spacing option 2.00.
10. Now from the left side, start typing the names or other details, date, and then the title of the document and then make the title of the document to center align.
To make it center align, select the complete title and then click on the center justify or center align button from the top.
11. Now click on the left align button and press the tab for 12 times and then start writing your first paragraph and then before starting the second paragraph, click on the left justify or left alignment button and then press tab or space bar for 12 times and start writing your second paragraph on the same way.
12. Now, you have completed your document and should look like below.
This is How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad or iPhone.
MLA Cover Page Google Docs
It is quite simple to create a MLA cover page in Google Docs.
As we know that the first page of the assignment is the cover page or Title Page. Follow the below steps to create the MLA cover page in Google Docs.
MLA Format Add On Google Docs
- Navigate to Google Docs and open the document and locate the first page and should be an empty page. Or, you can click on the + (Blank) option to create a new blank document.
- The first step is to click on the Center aligned button from the top as everything on your cover page should be Center aligned.
3. Everything on your Cover Page should be double line spacing. So click on the Line Spacing button –> Choose the Double option.
4. Choose the font as “Times New Roman” and the Font size as “12 pt”.
5. Make sure your cursor is at the beginning of your document but not on the header part. Press the enter key 4 times and then write your Title. Make sure to capitalize the first letters.
6. Then, again press the Enter key 5 times. Write your name and make sure to capitalize the first letter of your first name and last name.
7. Same way, press the Enter key again 8 times, and then you need to enter your course details, Professor name, due date, etc. Make sure to capitalize the first letter of each word.
8. The complete cover page should look like below.
This is how to create a MLA cover page in Google Docs.
MLA Outline Template Google Docs
I am very much interested to let you know that Google Docs provides you with an inbuild MLA format template that can be used by students. Follow the below quick steps to access the inbuild MLA format template.
- Navigate to https://docs.google.com/.
- Click on the File menu –> Click New –> Select From template option.
3. Now, you can able to see the template gallery, Under the Education category, you will find the template name as Report MLA. Click on the Report MLA template to use that and edit based on your requirement.
4. If you will open the template, it looks like below.
You may like following Google docs tutorials:
- How to print double-sided on google docs
- Google Docs for School
- How to rename Google Drive folder
- How to add column in Google docs
- How to bookmark Google docs
- How to change Google docs background
- How to encrypt Google docs
- How to add/hide comments Google docs
- How to use Google docs numbered list
- How to remove Google docs page numbers
Thus we have seen Step by step guide using MLA format on Google Docs. Try both these approaches and choose the one that works for you efficiently. Along with that, we have also discussed How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad/iPhone, MLA Cover Page Google Docs. Happy documenting!