Google docs are being used by almost all age groups ranging from school kids to high profile employees. But, the level of understanding varies between groups. The format of documents that commodities expect also varies.
Companies expect you to document things in a much professional format. Thus, schools also train you with such standards as practice.
If you use your Google Drive for schoolwork, you should know how to do MLA format on Google Docs. What is MLA format on Google Docs? Why is it required? How to use it on Google Docs? Let’s try to find answers to all the above questions in this article.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is MLA format?
- 2 General guidelines for MLA format
- 3 MLA Format Google Docs 2021
- 4 Different ways to do MLA format on Google Docs
- 5 How to use MLA format on Google docs with settings pre-configured – template way?
- 6 How to use MLA format on Google docs on your own?
- 7 How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad
- 8 How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPhone
- 9 MLA Cover Page Google Docs
- 10 MLA Format Add On Google Docs
- 11 MLA Outline Template Google Docs
What is MLA format?
Although we are required for various formats while making documents, some standard formats like MLA are in demand always.
Using MLA Style properly makes it easier for readers to navigate and comprehend a text through familiar cues that refer to sources and borrowed information.
Editors and instructors also encourage everyone to use the same format so there is a consistency of style within a given field.
General guidelines for MLA format
Let’s discuss here few guidelines for MLA format in Google Docs that is suggested to follow.
MLA Format Google Docs 2021
- Use Size 12 Times New Roman font
- Double-spaced text with no extra spaces between paragraphs should be adapted
- One-inch page margins on all sides should be ensured
- A header with your last name and a page number in the top-right of every page
- Your full name, the instructor’s name, the course name, and the due date in the top-left of the first page
- A centered title above the body text
- Body paragraphs should begin with a 1/2 inch indent
- A Works Cited page at the end of the paper
Different ways to do MLA format on Google Docs
There are two ways, one is to use a template with all the settings preconfigured and the other way is to perform the settings yourself.
- Method 1 – to use a Google Template with settings pre-configured
- Method 2 – to perform the settings yourself (recommended one)
How to use MLA format on Google docs with settings pre-configured – template way?
We might have used various templates available on Google Docs for our day-to-day documenting purposes. The Google Docs Report MLA add-on is one such template that comes in handy for various use cases.
Steps in setting up MLA format on Google Docs:
The following steps are required to set up an MLA format on Google Docs,
Step 1: Open a new document and select File > New > From template.
A template gallery will be opened in a new tab.
Step 2: Scroll down, you’ll find the Report MLA add-on under the Education section.
Step 3: A new document will be opened with some dummy text that you can replace with your own later. The formatting for the document will already be in place. You can just play with the words and replace them as required.
Hurray, we are good to go now without much hassle.
How to use MLA format on Google docs on your own?
Although the template way is easy, you might not trust the template way every time. Sometimes the document you are up to present could have much priority and should ensure proper formatting covering each and every aspect. In such cases, it’s good to configure on your own.
But, once you’ve set it up, you can also save it as your own, customized template so you don’t have to do it again the next time you need the format.
Changes to be done to do MLA format on Google Docs:
Font and font-size:
- Change the font to Times New Roman
- Change the font size to 12
By default, when you create a new document, the font is Arial and the size would be 11.
- By default Google Docs uses the margin of 1 inch for all top, right, bottom & left
This is the same required for MLA format as well, thus needs no change.
If you would like to verify the margins for correctness, follow the step:
- click on File => Page Setup
- Click on Insert => Header & page number => Header.
- You’ll notice that the font on the Header is NOT Times New Roman. Thus change the font to Times New Roman and font size of 12.
- You’ll also notice that the cursor is blinking on the left, thus click on the Right Align icon to align the cursor to the right.
- Now press the Enter key on your keyboard twice.
- Then type your Last Name and then press the Spacebar key on the keyboard once.
- Following it click on Insert => Header & page number => Page number => then click on the first box.
- Finally, now click on anywhere below the Header line so that header would be closed.
Line spacing as double spaced:
Click on the Line Spacing button => Choose Double.
- Initially, type your full name and then press Enter.
- Then, type your professor’s name => press Enter.
- Type course title => press Enter.
- Then, type your paper’s due date followed by the ‘Enter’ key.
- Then, click on the Align Center icon on the formatting toolbar (to center your blinking cursor). Then also type the title of your paper, capitalizing the first letter and all major words and proper nouns. Make sure you’re not using italics, boldfaced type, underlining, or all caps to format your title. Do not type a period at the end of the title. Finally, press Enter.
- Click on the Align Left icon to bring your blinking cursor to the left.
- Finally, click on the Tab key to indent 1/2 inch to begin your first paragraph. Use the Tab key on every new paragraph.
That’s it done with the first page information.
Works cited page:
The Works Cited page usually possess the following characteristics:
- Make a heading “Works Cited” centered one inch below the top edge of a new page. Make sure you do not bold or underline this heading.
- No indent on the first line of each entry. If an entry runs more than one line, indent the subsequent line or lines 1/2 inch from the left margin.
- Alphabetize entries in your list of works cited by the author’s last name, using the letter-by-letter system.
Steps for works cited page:
Step 1: After typing the final line of your paper, click on Insert => Page Break to begin a new page.
Step 2: Click on the align center icon to make the text centered.
Step 3: Type Works Cited and does not underline, boldface, italicize, or enclose the title in quotation marks.
Step 4: Press the Enter key once to begin a new line.
Step 5: Then, click on the align left icon so that the text is aligned left.
Step 6: Now type your information sources. Do not worry a lot about indentation on the subsequent lines.
Step 7: Once you are done typing your sources, highlight all your sources, and then click on the Left Indent icon and drag it to the 1/2 inch mark.
Step 8: Finally, now click on the First Line Indent icon and drag it to the 0-inch mark.
How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad
Well, let’s discuss here how to do MLA format on Google Docs on iPad or iPhone. Follow the below steps
How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPhone
- Open the Drive app on your iPad or iPhone.
- Click on the + icon that is present on the bottom right of the screen –> Choose Google Docs.
- Provide a name for your new document. You can enter a name something like “MLA Template” –> Then click on the Create button.
- Click on the three dots (…) that is present on the top right corner of the screen –> Enable the Print Layout option.
- Click twice on the top of the screen, you will notice a line will appear.
- Select the right justify or right alignment button.
7. Type your last name followed by a space to add a number next to the last name. So choose the + button from the top –> Choose the Page number option –> Then choose the first Icon.
8. Select the complete text i.e the name with the number and then click on the A icon at the top right –> Change the font to “Times New Roman” and the Font Size to “12 pt“. Then click on the empty part of the document, Now it should look like below.
9. Click on the A icon again and select the font as “Times New Roman” and the Font Size to “12 pt“. Then choose the Paragraph tab and make the Line spacing option 2.00.
10. Now from the left side, start typing the names or other details, date, and then the title of the document and then make the title of the document to center align. To make it center align, select the complete title and then click on the center justify or center align button from the top.
11. Now click on the left align button and press the tab for 12 times and then start writing your first paragraph and then before starting the second paragraph, click on the left justify or left alignment button and then press tab or space bar for 12 times and start writing your second paragraph on the same way.
12. Now, you have completed your document and should look like below.
This is How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad or iPhone.
MLA Cover Page Google Docs
It is quite simple to create a MLA cover page in Google Docs.
As we know that the first page of the assignment is the cover page or Title Page. Follow the below steps to create the MLA cover page in Google Docs.
MLA Format Add On Google Docs
- Navigate to https://docs.google.com/ and open the document and locate the first page and should be an empty page. Or, you can click on the + (Blank) option to create a new blank document.
- The first step is to click on the Center aligned button from the top as everything on your cover page should be Center aligned.
3. Everything on your Cover Page should be double line spacing. So click on the Line Spacing button –> Choose the Double option.
4. Choose the font as “Times New Roman” and the Font size as “12 pt”.
5. Make sure your cursor is at the beginning of your document but not on the header part. Press the enter key 4 times and then write your Title. Make sure to capitalized the first letters.
6. Then, again press the Enter key 5 times. Write your name and make sure to capitalize the first letter of your first name and last name.
7. Same way, press the Enter key again 8 times, and then you need to enter your course details, Professor name, due date, etc. Make sure to capitalize first letter of each word.
8. The complete cover page should look like below.
This is how to create a MLA cover page in Google Docs.
MLA Outline Template Google Docs
I am very much interested to let you know that Google Docs provides you an inbuild MLA format template that can be used by students. Follow the below quick steps to access the inbuild MLA format template.
- Navigate to https://docs.google.com/.
- Click on the File menu –> Click New –> Select From template option.
3. Now, you can able to see the template gallery, Under the Education category, you will find the template name as Report MLA. Click on the Report MLA template to use that and edit based on your requirement.
4. If you will open the template, it looks like below.
You may like following Google docs tutorials:
- How to print double-sided on google docs
- How to change Google docs language
- Google Docs for School
- How to rename Google Drive folder
- How to add column in Google docs
- How to bookmark Google docs
- How to change Google docs background
- How to encrypt Google docs
- How to add/hide comments Google docs
- How to keep Google docs private
- How to check word count on Google docs
- How to use Google docs numbered list
Thus we have seen in detail how an MLA document can be made using Google Docs. Try both these methods and choose the one that works for you efficiently. Along with that, we have also discussed How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPad, How To Do MLA Format On Google Docs On iPhone, MLA Cover Page Google Docs. Happy documenting!