Adding strikethrough in Word is fairly simple. It’s on the top left with the other Font options. Have u ever wondered if adding strikethrough to your Google Docs was possible?
- To Strikethrough a Text In Google Docs, Highlight the text –> Click Format –> Text –> Choose Strikethrough.
- Google Docs Strikethrough Shortcut: Use Alt + Shift + 5 ( For Windows) and ⌘ + Shift + X ( For Mac).
This tutorial will explain in detail what a strikethrough is and how it can be added to any Google docs with ease.
Table Of Contents
- Exploring strikethrough
- What is strikethrough?
- Strikethrough Text Google Docs
- How to use strikethrough in Google docs
- Step by step guide to use Strikethrough in Google Docs from the tools bar
- Step-by-step guide to using Strikethrough in Google Docs using the keyboard
- Double Strikethrough in Google Docs
- Inserting Strikethrough in Google Docs From your phone
- Strikethrough Google Docs App
- Google Docs Strikethrough Shortcut
- How To Change Strikethrough Color In Google Docs
- Wrapping Up
Before going into details about how to insert strikethrough in your content it is important to have a look at what it is. Its significance in a text and its uses. What exactly is the use of this tool? Why would someone what to strike off what they have already written.
These questions may seem pointless to those who haven’t used the option before, or to the ones who have used it to cross out things off a to-do list created.
Strikethrough is denoted by the symbol S with a line passing through it
In Google docs it is located in the Formatting section
Format > Text > Strikethrough or Alt + Shift + 5
What is strikethrough?
In word processors, it is a feature that comes pre-installed as part of the editing options. It is basically used to cross out certain words or phrases from a text. but at the same time, leaving them visible to the reader.
Strikethrough Text Google Docs
Google Docs as you know it is an excellent collaborative tool. This makes it easier to proofread documents and work on projects together with others. Strikethrough in Google docs is a great way to edit documents by striking out and replacing text with alternative text ideas.
How to use strikethrough in Google docs
Here are a few ways in which strike-through is used.
- It is used to make recommendations of the deletion of text as part of the editing process.
- In a more modern outlook, it is used to pass a sassy or snide remark. It is used ironically.
- In legal documents or in a historical context of documents, striking through is particularly important to understand the number of revisions made.
- To make a list of things to be done or points to be added to an article and then cross them when the task is completed.
One may argue that tracking changes that are made to a particular document can be viewed using the Track Changes option. This is generally available free of cost in almost all word processing software. This is a valid option and can be considered but it is also time-consuming as in most cases you have to either accept or decline the changes made to that document.
This takes several clicks considering running through the entire document accepting changes or declining them. When the strikethrough option is used it not only saves time but is also a better way of keeping a track of all the edits made.
When the strike-through option is used it not only saves time but is also a better way of keeping a track of all the edits made.
There are two ways in which you can use the strikethrough option
The first one includes selecting the tool from the toolbar and the second one is a keyboard shortcut that is particularly useful when you have a lot of text to cover and don’t have the time to go back and forth looking for the option.
Step by step guide to use Strikethrough in Google Docs from the tools bar
Open the google docs you want to edit by logging into Google Drive
In order to strikethrough a particular word or sentence, it needs to be highlighted. Here we have taken two sentences that need to be edited to form one sentence.
To highlight simply double-click (Left) the word or drag through the sentence without lifting the left click. By doing this we see that the entire sentence is highlighted.
Now that the text is highlighted select Format in the Toolbar
Clicking Format will open a drop-down menu
The side menu will contain different editing options Select Strikethrough.
After clicking strikethrough u will be left with the text still highlighted but it will have a line running across.
You can then make the desired changes.
Open document > select text > Format > Text > Strikethrough
This method is fairly simple but time-consuming. If you are editing a lengthy document and need to keep repeating the process, it can be rather time-consuming. But, there is also a simpler way of doing it.
Step-by-step guide to using Strikethrough in Google Docs using the keyboard
The Strikethrough tool can be used by simply using a combination of keys on the keyboard.
This not only makes the task faster but it saves a lot of effort. For this
- You need to open the Google docs from the drive folder.
- The highlighting process remains the same but instead of using the mouse it can also be done using the shift key along with the arrow keys to move around the document.
- Keep the Shift Key pressed for multiple selections.
- After the text is selected use Alt + Shift + 5 for Windows and Linux systems and Command + Shift + X for Mac.
- The text highlighted will have a line across it.
- For Windows & Linux: Open document > select text > Alt + Shift + 5
- For Mac: Open document > select text > Command + Shift + X
Note: You need to deselect the option if you are striking through text as you type. To select repeat the steps again, like you would do while using Bold or Underline.
Double Strikethrough in Google Docs
Double Strikethrough is used in Microsoft word along with the traditional striking through of the text. Unfortunately, this feature is still not available in Google Docs. We will need to wait for future updates for this feature to be added as part of the editing tools in docs.
Inserting Strikethrough in Google Docs From your phone
Strikethrough can be inserted from both iOS as well as Android devices. Be sure to install Google Drive on these devices to access the files. Android devices come pre-equipped with programs offered by Google. These need to be downloaded from the Apple store and is available as an all one download by the name Google Suit.
Strikethrough Google Docs App
To add strike through to a text the document needs to be accessed from the drive. after the document is located open it and highlight the text you would like to strike through.
Format > Text > Strikethrough
To delete or remove strikethrough you need to select the text and then select the same option
Format > Text > Strikethrough
With these steps, you can now strike through text in a Google Document by using either the toolbar or the keyboard. You can also undo or delete it as easily as you added it to the text. Using strike-through is also possible on both Android and iOS devices.
Instead of typing the text Google Docs also offers the option to speak into the microphone while the text is typed automatically using Voice Typing.
Google Docs Strikethrough Shortcut
Select the text and then press Alt + Shift + 5 keyboard shortcut from your keyboard to strikethrough the selected text.
How To Change Strikethrough Color In Google Docs
As of now, this feature is not available in Google Docs.
- How to get rid of strikethrough on Google Docs
- How to add watermark in Google Docs
- Google docs night mode
- How to compare documents in Google docs
- How to delete google docs edit history
- Google docs vertical text
Well, we concluded that it’s easy to use Google docs strikethrough. Now, it’s your turn to Strikethrough text in Google Docs using the above instructions.
Hope You have enjoyed this article !!!
1 thought on “How to use Google docs strikethrough”
It’s awesome for me to have a web site, which is helpful in support
of my knowledge. thanks admin
Comments are closed.