Have you ever deleted an important Google docs file accidentally which was supposed to stay in your Google drive forever? Worry not! Recovery is possible when you accidentally delete one or more Google Docs documents. You can restore the original google docs document along with all the associated content from the trash. Learn here how to recover a file from Google Docs?
Table Of Contents
- 1 Where is the trash folder in Google Docs?
- 2 So where is Google Docs Bin?
- 3 How to recover permanently deleted files from Google Docs?
- 4 How to restore the Google Drive folder?
- 5 How to recover a file from Google docs through Google Drive?
- 6 Recover permanently deleted files from Google Docs using “Drag and Drop”
- 7 Recover permanently deleted docs files a while ago
- 8 Recover Permanently Deleted Files from Google Drive Using Third-Party Backup Applications
- 9 Recover Permanently Deleted Google Docs Files Using G Suite Admin Console
- 10 How can a G Suite Administrator recover deleted google docs files from Google Drive?
- 11 How can a G Suite Administrator recover deleted google docs files from Shared Drive?
- 12 How to recover permanently deleted Google Docs files from Google Drive with Backup
- 13 How long Does Google Drive Keep Deleted Files?
Where is the trash folder in Google Docs?
There is no trash folder in Google Docs. Whatever you delete in your Google Docs, you can see in the trash folder of Google Drive. The trash folder consists of all the google docs files you deleted within 25 days.
- How to set background image or color in Google docs
- How to make Google docs available offline
- Make google docs read aloud
So where is Google Docs Bin?
You can delete your google docs file by using the option “Move to trash”.
- Click File > Move to trash
This trash folder which acts as “Google Docs bin” can be seen only in Google Drive.
How to recover permanently deleted files from Google Docs?
Is your google docs files missing?
Sometimes you can delete google docs file by mistake or you can delete them consciously without knowing that we are going to use it in the future. Fortunately, you can easily recover your permanently deleted files from Google Docs. You just need to follow only a few steps and procedures to easily retrieve your deleted Google docs files.
All the data usually saved in Google Drive, the cloud space, when you store any documents in Google Docs.
How to restore the Google Drive folder?
Once your Gmail account is synced with Google drive, the google drive gets a back-up of your existing data including photos, documents, and video. Even though you are deleting google docs files from your PC or mobile phone, it is saved in Google Drive for eternity.
Trash is never automatically get emptied. So you have an option to restore your files from the “Trash” folder using Google Drive unless you permanently delete it.
How to recover a file from Google docs through Google Drive?
You can recover the Google Docs files, through the Trash of Google drive. Google drive never empties its trash automatically so it is easy to recover any google docs even after you delete them permanently from your system or mobile phone.
There are two cases when you attempt to retrieve deleted Google Docs:
• Are you trying to restore your google docs files within 25 days after deleting?
• Are you trying to get back your google docs file that was deleted long back?
If you belong to the first category then retrieving the deleted file is as easy as clapping. All you need to do simply follow these steps:
- Login to your Google Drive account.
- Go to Menu and click “Trash”
- You can search the Google Doc that you want to restore by using the “search bar” at the top of your Google drive layout.
- Right-click on your google docs file. You will get two options visible on your screen — “Restore” and “Delete forever”
Click “Restore” to retrieve your deleted file.
Recover permanently deleted files from Google Docs using “Drag and Drop”
You can also simply drag the desired google docs file from Trash to any non-trash folder to retrieve your file over there.
To do this:
- Just click on your desired google docs file and press the left button on your mouse.
- All the folders are listed on the extreme left panel of your Google Drive.
- Choose the folder where you want to restore your google docs file and release the cursor over it.
- You can see that the file has been disappeared from the Trash folder.
- For confirming the restoration, open the folder and you will notice that your deleted file is right there.
If you are not sure about your file location, click on the “Locate” option that shows off as soon as you restore your file. This will help you to find your retrieved google docs new location
The above-mentioned instructions will help you only if you are trying to retrieve your deleted documents within a span of 25 days of deletion.
If you are not the owner of the file and want to use it,
- Make a copy of the file.
- Contact the owner to have them restore it.
Recover permanently deleted docs files a while ago
If you have crossed the time limit of 25 days means, you have to take the help of the Google support team to retrieve your files.
You can simply google “File recovery — Google support” and fill out the recovery form.
To contact Google support team,
- Click the “support’ icon and click the “Help” option.
You can see “Find or recover a file” and “Delete or restore files in Google Drive” support team answers. Click them to find support google form.
Here is the example of the Google form.
Just fill out the required details and wait for the response. Keep on checking your mailbox regarding the update of the recovery process of your google docs files.
Google will recover your google docs files only if you are the owner of the google docs file or the lost data.
Once Google completes the process, you can see your files in your Google drive.
Recover Permanently Deleted Files from Google Drive Using Third-Party Backup Applications
There are various third-party software applications available in the market that helps you to recover your permanent deleted google docs files easily. You can make use of these third-party apps for restoring your deleted files quickly.
Recover Permanently Deleted Google Docs Files Using G Suite Admin Console
You can recover the permanently deleted Google docs files by a G Suite Admin within 25 days of deletion from the Trash.
G Suite administrators have the privilege to recover permanently deleted google docs files from:
- User’s individual Google Drive account
- Shared Drive
- Deleted user account
How can a G Suite Administrator recover deleted google docs files from Google Drive?
- Log in to your Google Admin Console
- Click “Users” option from the Google Console
- Hover over your user name and click on the ellipsis icon on the far right.
- Select the “Restore Data” option from the pop-up menu.
- Specify the required date range you want to restore google docs files.
- Specify the Application as “Drive” and click on “Restore”
- Log in to the Google Admin Console
- Click Apps > G Suite > Drive and Docs
- Click the option “Manage Team Drives.”
- Find your google docs file to be restored and click on the restore icon at the far right of the file tab.
- Select a date range for the google docs to restore and click on “Restore Data
- You can restore the deleted Google docs files to the selected Team Drive.
How to recover permanently deleted Google Docs files from Google Drive with Backup
If you have already taken a backup of your Google Drive files, then you can use the following methods to easily recover your permanently deleted google docs files.
- By using Google Takeout, you can recover deleted Google docs files.
- Steps Recover permanently deleted files using Google Vault
- Recover deleted files from Google Drive using third-party backup tools
How long Does Google Drive Keep Deleted Files?
Individual Google Drive users usually have a total of 30 days to recover the google docs files they deleted. After this time span, google docs files will be permanently deleted from the ‘Trash’ folder and cannot be recovered, unless you have already taken a backup of the google docs files before deletion.
Limitation of restoring files:
Restoring or recovering your deleted google docs files from google docs if not be possible if you have deleted the folder structure and its main folder. You can not recover the deleted google docs files that are in the “Spam” folder.
I hope you learned how to recover a file from Google docs.