Apart from storing files on their servers and synchronizing files across devices, Google Drive offers the option to share files and folders with anyone inside or outside the organization. When you share from Google Drive, you can control whether people can edit, comment on, or only view the Google Drive file. The people who have ‘view’ or ‘edit’ or ‘comment’ access to the shared file have the permission to delete the file from their Google Drive view. Let us see how to remove shared files from google drive.
Removing shared files is quite simple. But sometimes you may have questions like “If I delete a shared folder in google drive does it delete for everyone?” or “How to remove shared files from Google Drive on Android mobile?” .Keep on reading to find out answers to these questions and to know how to remove shared files from Google Drive.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Removing shared files from Google Drive
- 2 Where to find shared files or folders in Google Drive?
- 3 What are the details you can find in the “Shared with me” section of Google Drive?
- 4 How to remove shared files from google drive on android?
- 5 How to delete shared files from google drive on android
- 6 Does removing a file shared with you affects anyone else’s drive?
- 7 Can’t remove shared files from Google Drive
- 8 Removing a shared file when having edit permissions
- 9 Removing a shared file when you are the owner
- 10 How to stop receiving shared files on google drive
- 11 Remove myself from shared folder google drive
- 12 If I delete a shared folder in google drive does it delete for everyone
- 13 No remove option in google drive
- 14 Google drive find files shared with someone
- 15 Google drive shared with me not showing [Solved]
- 16 Why “Shared with me” not showing in Google Drive?
Removing shared files from Google Drive is very simple. First, you have to look up the files that your colleagues or people in your organization have shared with you in Google Drive. And then you can directly delete shared files from your Google Drive using the “Remove” option.
The shared files and folders usually appear in the “Shared with me” section of Google Drive. You can find the “shared with me” option in the left corner of your Google Drive just below the “My Drive” option. When you click on the “Share with me” option, you can view all the files and folders that are shared with you.
The “shared with me” section contains all the files and folders shared with you, the date and time it was shared, the actual owner of the file or folder, and the file type.
How to remove shared files from google drive on the Computer?
To remove shared files from Google Drive on the computer,
Step 1: First, open Google Drive on your computer browser
Step 2: Click on the “Shared with me” option in the left corner of the Google Drive screen.
Step 3: Find the shared file you want to remove from Google Drive.
Step 4: Right-click on that file and click “Remove”
Step 5: The shared file will be removed from the “Shared with me” section.
If someone shared a file or folder with you that you don’t want to see anymore, you can remove it from Google Drive on your Android mobile. To remove shared files from Google Drive on Android,
Step 1: On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Drive app.
Step 2: On the bottom, tap the ‘Shared’ icon .
Step 3: Next to the file you want to remove, tap the ‘More’ icon .
Step 4: Tap Remove.
Many people have this question. Anything that you are able to see in the “Shared with me” section is just a link to the real file on the owner’s account. So, if you remove them from “Shared with me” in your Google Drive, you are the only one who loses a link, but other peoples in sharing are not affected.
Even if you remove a link of the subfolder, you can continue to access the Main folder and some subfolders in the main folder.
In short, if you remove a file shared with you, it just removes it from your drive and has no effect on anyone else’s drive.
Sometimes, you may experience that whenever you delete files, it only temporarily removes them from your actual view on Google Drive and then return when you refresh your google drive page.
This is because when you remove a shared file within the “shared with me” section, it really just removes the shortcut to that file. If you had access before, you will still have access after. If you click the link to that file after you remove it, the file will reappear in the “Shared with me” section.
If you have the “Edit” permission for shared files, once you delete that file, it will also be temporarily deleted for every member of the shared folder. However, you won’t be able to permanently delete a file unless you are the owner of the shared folder.
All other members who have the shared file can see the deleted files in their “Deleted Files” tab or “Trash”, and can restore them within the time frame which is 30 days for Basic and Plus users, and 120 days for Business and Pro users.
If you are the owner of a shared folder or file and delete the same shared document, spreadsheet, or presentation that you own, it will be completely removed from Drive for all collaborators, and they will no longer have access to the document.
To avoid consequences, before deleting a document, you have to make someone else its owner.
Sorry to say that there is no implementation to stop receiving shared files on google drive from Google as of now.
You can remove yourself from the shared folder in google drive using the below quick steps.
- The first step is, you need to highlight the folder that you actually want to remove.
- If you will see the right side of the folder, you can see the “sharing” and the “Details” option, here you need to choose the sharing option.
- Now, you need to scroll down and you will find your name, then click on the three dots(…) that follows your name.
- Then click on the “Remove” option.
This is how you can remove yourself from the shared folder in google drive by following the above steps.
Note that, only if you own the folder, then only you can able to delete the folder. if you will delete the folder, it will from everyone’s Drive. Consider one scenario, if the shared folder contains some files that are actually owned by some other persons, then those items will not be deleted permanently but those items will be in a different state known as orphaned.
Now, if we will try to understand what is orphaned?, then the answer is this is a state where an item has no parent folder.
No remove option in google drive
If, you are not finding the remove option in google drive, then make sure to follow the below important points.
- Make sure that you are the owner of that file or folder you want to remove.
- Make sure to check the storage space and to clear the browser cache and try the same again.
- Try to switch your view to files, you might get the delete/remove option then.
It’s quite simple to find out the files that are shared with someone. Follow the below instructions.
- Navigate to the Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/).
- From the left side, menu click on the “Shared with me” link to see the list of files shared with you.
You might face a scenario where you will not see the Shared with me in Google drive. In that case, you need to follow the below approaches.
Make sure to verify the below stuffs
Solution-1: Check the Network Connection
You must have proper network connection. Make sure to verify the network connection properly.
In case if you have any issues, click on the Start button –> Settings –> click on the Network & Internet option. Click on the “Network troubleshooter” option to view and solve the problem.
Solution-2: Update Your Google Chrome Browser
Make sure your Google chrome browser is the updated one. Check the version of your google chrome and update it to the new one if required. You can use the below steps to update the Google Chrome Browser.
- Open your Google Chrome Browser, Click on the three-dot menu which is present at the top right corner as high lighted below and then select the Help option and then click on the About Google Chrome option.
2. Now the Browser will check if it has any newer version. If any of the newer version is present then, the browser will start downloading the newer version automatically and then it will install the newer version.
3. Once the installation is done, you can click on the Relaunch button to open the new version of the chrome browser.
Solution-3: Restore/Reset the Google Chrome settings
You can also reset your Google Chrome Browser settings to fix this issue using the below quick steps.
- Open your Google Chrome Browser, Click on the three-dot menu and then click on the settings option as highlighted below.
2. As the second step, click on the Advanced option.
3. Under the Reset and clean up option, Click on the Restore settings to their original defaults option as highlighted below.
Solution-4: Contact To Google support team
After following the above steps, if you will not able to fix this issue, The final option is you can reach out to the Google support team, they will definitely help you to fix your issue.
You may like the following google drive tutorials:
- How to upload photos from google drive to Facebook?
- How to unzip files in Google Drive
- How to find large files in Google drive
- How to upload multiple files to Google Drive from Android and iPhone
- Password protect document in Google drive
- How to upload videos from google drive to youtube 2020
- How to move files from dropbox to google drive?
And voila! Hope you have gained some knowledge on how to remove shared files from Google drive on both your computer and android devices.
- How to stop receiving shared files on google drive
- how to remove shared files from google drive
- can’t remove shared files from google drive
- how to delete a shared file in google drive