In this docs tutorial, we will discuss how to remove page numbers in Google docs. Let us check out how easily how to remove google docs page numbers.
Google Docs has traveled a mile from just being a standard documenting tool. It comes packed with lots of super flexible features that could potentially drift your business needs to the next level. No matter, you’re documenting for a school project, your personal blog (or) something for a company certain parameters matters irrespective of the medium.
To name a few headers, footer, page numbers, cite information, and so on. Think of creating a document without such parameters, it might sound hell confusing to organize and maintain. At least a proper page number setup is crucial to keep you operate at a good pace.
Page numbers come in extremely handy if the pages of that document become separated. But, in the end, it’s upon you and your personal preferences matters.
Google knows it well and thus Google Docs comes with a lot of flexibility to handle it aligned with your personal preferences seamlessly.
Often you will in a situation to remove page numbers on Google Docs, add page number if not already placed, remove page number only on a particular page (say just the front page or the last page of the document), use a different kind of page number hierarchy in the same document.
Let’s explore how one can efficiently handle such use cases in this article briefly.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Where page numbers can be added in Google Docs?
- 2 Remove page numbers on Google Docs from a browser
- 3 How to Remove Page Numbers from the First Page in Google Docs?
- 4 Remove page number on Google Docs from a mobile app
- 5 Add header/footer to only one part of your document in Google Docs
- 6 Add Page Numbers in Google Docs
- 7 How to move page numbers to the center of your document?
Where page numbers can be added in Google Docs?
Headers and footers in Google docs have become an integral part of any form of documents. A typical header/footer configuration would include the author details, page number, document title, date, and anything you wish.
Such things would definitely play a vital role in adding an extra professional touch in your works. However, it’s purely of the party’s interest. Adding a header or footer usually take up more page space, but on the other hand help, the reader understands the document better.
Google docs page header usually appears at the top of the page and would typically include the document title and perhaps the document author. The footer lies at the bottom, of the page, and will likely have a page number and sometimes a website or author hyperlinks.
Remove page numbers on Google Docs from a browser
Let us check out how to remove page numbers on Google docs from a browser.
The below steps are performed in the Google Chrome web browser but feel to follow the same steps in any other browser of your choice. It would work the same way.
Steps to be followed to remove page number on Google Docs:
Step 1: Sign in to your Google Drive at https://drive.google.com/ in the desktop version of the browser of your choice.
Step 2: Open your document for which you wish to remove the page number.
Step 3: Then double click on the page number in the header or footer area.
Note: Google Docs provides you with various options to add page numbers at header/footer areas. Feel free to check the steps to add page numbers below in the coming sections.
Step 4: Make sure the page number is selected and then delete it by pressing the backspace key or delete it from your keyboard.
Note: Deleting page numbers from a page deletes page numbers in all the pages automatically since Google Docs treats those as combined objects added via the insert tab instead of separate entities.
Thus you’ll notice the page number got removed from all the subsequent pages as well. However, we’ll explore how to add page numbers to one part of your document alone in later sections of this article.
How to Remove Page Numbers from the First Page in Google Docs?
Think of a case were you’ll have a title page in your document or say it’s a couple of index pages which doesn’t require to be counted as the main content.
However, Google doesn’t mind which one is a title page and will add page numbers to all the pages irrespective of your constraints by default.
Fortunately, you can always do it the other way too. You can easily change a page number setting. And skip the first page of a document alone.
Steps to remove page numbers from the first page in Google Docs:
Step 1: Sign in to your Google Drive on a browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla.
Step 2: Open your Google docs document for which you want to remove the page number.
Step 3: Double click on the Google docs page number in the header or footer area.
Step 4: You’ll notice a checkbox and an options dropdown below the header margin.
Step 5: Now, check the box to the left of Different first page.
This will completely remove everything from the first page including the page number. However, the numbering will still exist in all the other pages just like before.
Remove page number on Google Docs from a mobile app
Now, let us see how to remove page number on Google docs from a mobile app?
The steps are quite similar to that of the web, but there are few actions to be noticed.
Step 1: Open Google Docs android/iPhone app on your mobile phone.
Step 2: Open the document for which you need to remove page numbers
Step 3: Click on the pencil icon to start editing the document
Step 4: Then select the three-dot menu icon. Also, toggle Print Layout.
Step 5: Select the header box in the document by tapping on the upper part of the document’s page and enter the number from which you need the page to start.
Step 6: Tap outside of the box to save it
Step 7: To remove the added header, just select all text and choose the Cut option to delete. This will remove the entire header box from the document.
- First, remove the current page numbers and section break by following the same steps explained previously.
- Now place your cursor at the end of the contents on the Google Docs page that precedes the earlier page that actually needs the footer and/or page number.
- Click on Insert > Break > section break (next page).
- Similarly, place your cursor in the footer area of the Google Docs page where you want to insert the footer/page numbers. Now UN-check the box for “Link to previous.”
- Then click on Options > Footer format. Now select “Apply to this section (Section 2).”
- Choose Apply to save all your changes.
- Then, click on Options > Page numbers and make sure you select all of the following:
- “Apply to this section (Section 2),” “Footer,” “Show on the first page,” “Numbering: Start at 1”
- Click on the Apply button to save your changes. You can also format the page numbers as needed.
- You can now add the additional content into the footer area if any.
Add Page Numbers in Google Docs
If you are an amateur writer, you might have fallen into a situation where you struggle to find the page numbers in the document. Since Google does not add those header/footer information by default. Thus its good to know how to add page numbers in Google Docs as well.
Steps to the number of pages in Google Docs automatically:
When your document requires page numbers on every page, you can use a simple trick. You can just insert page number for one page and set them to automatically update when pages are added or deleted from the particular Google Docs document.
Step 1: Open Google Docs web app in any browser of your choice
Step 2: Open the document for which you need to add page numbers
Step 3: Select Insert > Page numbers.
Step 4: You can choose the page number to be displayed at any part as per your document preference. Google provides you with few alignments and flexible settings to set up further configuration.
How to move page numbers to the center of your document?
By default Google Docs, adds page numbers to the right top of your document. However, you are absolutely free to move it to a different alignment of your choice.
Step 1: First, Double click on the header or footer, depending on where the page number is added.
Step 2: Go to the toolbar and select the alignment of your choice, preferred would be Left Align or Center Align.
Step 3: Now you’ll notice the page number moved to the position you’ve chosen.
You may like the following Google docs tutorials:
- Google docs numbered headings
- How to delete a page in Google docs
- How to do MLA format on google docs
- How to add table of contents in Google docs
- How to view Google docs history
- Password protect document in Google drive
- How to empty trash in Google Drive
- How to add column in Google docs
- How to bookmark Google docs
- How to check word count on Google docs
- How to shorten Google docs URL
- Where are my Google docs
- How to use Google docs numbered list
Cool, thus we’ve explored all the related operations on page numbers on Google Docs. Hope this helps you in your next documenting process. Feel free to try these hacks without fail. We discussed the below things:
- Where page numbers can be added in Google Docs?
- How to remove page numbers on Google Docs from a browser?
- How to Remove Page Numbers from the First Page in Google Docs?
- How to remove page number on Google Docs from a mobile app?
- How to add header/footer to only one part of your document in Google Docs?
- How to Add Page Numbers In Google Docs?
- How to move page numbers to the center of your document?