Google Drive is an excellent cloud-based storage service that can help you to edit documents online, backup, syncs folders and files, store your data on the cloud for easy access and even you can access from anywhere in the world. If you want to access all of the Google Drive services, you will have to open Google Drive on your web browser which requires an internet connection. It is difficult to have stable internet always.
So, If you want to handle your Google Drive data easily, then it’s better to add your Google Drive to the File Explorer and you can easily access your documents from File Explorer while you are offline. You can sync all your data, including your photos and videos in windows file explorer. Let’s dive deep to know how to add Google Drive to File Explorer (Windows Explorer).
Table Of Contents
- 1 Can you add google drive to file explorer?
- 2 Why you have to add Google Drive to File Explorer?
- 3 How to add Google Drive to File Explorer?
- 4 Download Google Drive Backup And Sync App (Currently known as Download Drive for desktop)
- 5 Where to add Google Drive files in your PC?
- 6 How to add recently shared Google Drive files to file explorer?
- 7 How to add Google Drive to File explorer for Gsuite users?
- 8 Add Google Drive to Windows Explorer or File Explorer’s sidebar
- 9 How to Add Google Drive To Desktop
Can you add google drive to file explorer?
At the moment, you will download Google Drive app for Windows 10 on your computer or PC, A folder gets created automatically on the left side of the File Explorer i.e under the Quick access section.
If you wish, you can easily delete or remove this particular folder with a single click. If you want to add Google Drive to the File Explorer permanently, you can easily do it with some simple steps.
Why you have to add Google Drive to File Explorer?
As Google Drive is a cloud storage system, you can’t be able to access it offline. However, adding Google Drive to file explorer can make offline access possible as well.
It will let you access your Google Drive files through an offline folder whenever you require it. You can even delete unnecessary files from your file explorer on Google Drive.
How to add Google Drive to File Explorer?
To add Google Drive to File explorer, you have to follow a couple of steps mentioned below.
Download Google Drive Backup And Sync App (Currently known as Download Drive for desktop)
For adding Google Drive to your file explorer,
- If you have completed the installation of Google Drive on your PC or desktop already, then just skip this step.
- Else, you have to download Google Drive for Windows 10 or earlier versions of Windows. So Download Drive for desktop now.
- Click on the Download Drive for desktop button to download & install Google Drive for desktop.
You can also click here to download Google Drive for Windows and Google Drive for MAC.
Click on the Download For Windows, if you want to download the drive app for Windows or, click on the Download for Mac button to download the drive app for MAC.
- This will download the file with the name ‘GoogleDriveSetup.exe’.
- Double click to run that .exe file to install Google Drive for Windows 10 or any version of the Windows system.
- Click on the Yes button to allow the Google Drive app to install on your PC on the next window.
- Select bot the check boxes and Click on the Install button.
- It will just take a few seconds to install the Google Drive App.
- Click on the Sign in with browser button to sign in to your Google Drive with your Google account.
- To add Google Drive to file explorer on your desktop, you will have to sign in to the Google Drive using your correct credentials. Enter your Google account credentials and click on the Sign in button. On sucessfull sign in, you will see a sucessful message. After the sucessful login, the Google Drive will add to the file explorer automatically.
- Now, you have added Google Drive to your File Explorer sucessfully. You can see it below.
Where to add Google Drive files in your PC?
You can add Google Drive files to five different places
- Show it in Libraries in navigation pane.
- Pin Google Drive to Quick Access.
- Pin Google Drive to taskbar Jump List.
- Bookmark it as a favorite in the third-party file managers.
- Show it independently in navigation pane.
Deleting a file from the Google Drive folder in the File Explorer
If you wish to delete a particular file from your Google Drive folder in File Explorer,
Double click on the Google Drive Folder –> Double click on the My Drive or Other Computers folder –> Right-click on the File or Folder you want to delete –> Select the Delete option.
Note: Once you will delete the file, it will be there on your Google Drive trash folder for 30 days. If you want you can restore the file within 30 days. After 30 days, it will get deleted permanently.
If you wish to back up or add Google Drive files to file explorer that is shared with you and actually not present on Google Drive,
- Open Google Drive –> click on “Shared with me” on the left side of the window.
- Right-click on Shared file or folder then click on the Add to My Drive option.
This will sync Google Drive files to file explorer and you can access the file from your File Explorer.
How to add Google Drive to File explorer for Gsuite users?
To add Google Drive to File explorer for Gsuite users,
- First, the Drive file stream application on your device.
- Tick the checkbox before “Add desktop shortcuts to Google Docs, Sheets, and slides” option and click ‘Install’.
- Now login to your Google account and then proceed by clicking on Next.
Without making any additional settings, Google Drive will be added to your PC., you can’t access the saved files and folders offline. make it accessible, have to add Google Drive to File Explorer.
To add Google Drive to File Explorer for G-suite users,
- Right-click on Google Drive icon in the PC and select “Pin to Quick Access”.
Well, let’s discuss here, How to Add Google Drive to Windows Explorer Sidebar?. Below are a few quick methods that can be used to add Google Drive to the Windows Explorer sidebar.
Follow the below steps for adding the file to the windows explorer sidebar using the registry file.
- Download and install Google Drive Backup And Sync App.
- Sign into your Google account.
- Now, download the registry file. Click on the Code dropdown and then select Download ZIP.
5. Extract the folder and double click on the below-highlighted file named Google Drive to install.
6. Click Yes to allow and then again click on the Yes button to confirm the installation.
7. Now, you should be able to see Google Drive on the sidebar.
Once you have installed Google Drive, You can follow the below instruction.
- Right-click on the Google Drive shortcut –> Select Include in Library –> Select Create new library option.
Now you will find the Google Drive library has been added in the Windows File Explorer.
If you want to Remove then
- Right-click on the Google Drive shortcut that has been added to the Windows File Explorer –> Select the Delete option.
Approach-3: Add Google Drive to Quick access
Follow the below steps to add Google Drive to Quick access.
- Right-click on the Google Drive setup –> Choose Pin to quick access.
- Now, if you want to remove from quick access. Right-click on the Google Drive Folder present on the Quick access –> Select Unpin from Quick access option.
How to Add Google Drive To Desktop
Follow the below steps for the Google Drive shortcut on Desktop.
- Firstly, Download Drive for desktop.
- Double click on the Google Drive.exe file to install the Google Drive app on your PC.
- Make sure to check the below check box “Add an application shortcut to your Desktop” option. –> Click on the Install button.
6. Once, you have completed the above steps, you will find the Google Drive shortcut on the Desktop on the successful installation of the Google Drive app.
Or, if you have missed checking the check box “Add an application shortcut to your Desktop”, After the installation Right-click on the Google Drive (G) folder from file explorer –> Choose the Create Short cut option.
You may like the following Google Drive tutorials:
- How to remove quick access from google drive
- How to access WhatsApp on Google Drive
- How to find movies on google drive
- How to empty trash in Google Drive
- How to password protect google drive
- How to turn off quick access in google drive
- Google drive unable to process this video
And voila! now it’s your turn to download & install Google Drive for desktop and then add Google Drive to file explorer in no time.