A lot of Whatsapp users came up with questions like — “Is it possible to access WhatsApp backup that I have previously taken from my phone on Google Drive? Can someone tell me how to access WhatsApp backup directly?” And the answer is simple. It is very easy to back up or restore and download your Whatsapp chats from Google Drive. Let’s see how to access WhatsApp on Google Drive.
To find the WhatsApp Chat Backup in Google Drive, Navigate to Google Drive –> Click on Settings (Gear icon) –> Select Manage Apps –> Click on
Table Of Contents
- How to access WhatsApp backup on Google Drive
- How to read WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive on PC?
- How to Restore WhatsApp Backup without Uninstalling?
- How to restore your chat history?
- Which folder of Google Drive does WhatsApp’s chat backup feature save data?
- Why can’t I create or restore a Google Drive Backup?
- How to restore deleted WhatsApp messages without backup?
- How to manage and restore your device backups in Google Drive?
- How to view WhatsApp backup on google drive
- How to Backup your WhatsApp Photos or Videos
- How to create automatic Backup of WhatsApp photos or videos Android
- How to create automatic Backup of WhatsApp photos or videos iOS
- How to download WhatsApp backup from google drive
- How to restore WhatsApp backup from google drive
- WhatsApp Backup Extractor
How to access WhatsApp backup on Google Drive
Google Drive’s Whatsapp backup is a great idea to back up your messages, photos, and videos. If you want your more important deleted messages and media in Whatsapp back, then the Google Drive backup feature will be the best bet for you.
Your Google Drive storage space will not get reduced by the Whatsapp backup chat history. Let’s see how to access WhatsApp backup on Google Drive, how to download Whatsapp backup, restore and read them from Google Drive.
If you are an Android user, then you can access WhatsApp backup on Google Drive. WhatsApp automatically backs up and saves your messages to your phone’s memory daily. However, depending on your settings, you can also back up your Whatsapp chats and media to Google Drive.
This means that even after you delete WhatsApp from your phone, your messages will be safe. You have to just be sure to back up before you uninstall Whatsapp. Before you proceed, you have to make sure that you have already taken a backup of all your WhatsApp chats.
To backup, your Whatsapp chats,
- Open your Whatsapp and go to the app’s Settings
- Tap Chats > Chat Backup and then tap on the “Back Up” button.
- You can also take the backup of all the media like images, videos, and recordings by checking in the boxes.
- Before taking backup in your mobile, just make sure that your WhatsApp account is linked to an active Google account beforehand.
To learn how to access WhatsApp backup on Google Drive,
- Open Google Drive on your computer and log-in to your Google account where your Whatsapp backup is saved.
- Now, Click on the gear icon on the top-right corner of the screen to open the Google Drive Settings.
- Once the Google Drive settings are launched, go to the “Managing Apps” section.
- You can see the “Whatsapp Messenger” tab. This section has the Whatsapp chat history and media backup for android.
- Click on the “Options” tab of WhatsApp Messenger to access it.
- Accessing WhatsApp backup on Google Drive will only let you navigate the backup or delete it.
- WhatsApp backup data is protected by end-to-end encryption.
- So you won’t be able to read your messages or extract them to any other application just by accessing.
How to read WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive on PC?
So obviously now you came up with a question “Earlier, I took a backup of my WhatsApp chats on Google Drive, but I can’t find any solution to access it. Can someone tell me how to read WhatsApp backup from Google Drive on PC?”
Even though WhatsApp allows us to take a backup of your chats to Google Drive and access it, you can’t able to read it on your PC or any other third-party applications. This is because the Whatsapp backup is end-to-end encrypted.
To read your WhatsApp backup from Google Drive on PC,
- You have to first delete WhatsApp and install it back on your phone.
- Now, launch the app, and make sure that your phone is linked to the same Google account.
- While setting up the account, enter the same phone number as linked to WhatsApp earlier.
- Now, WhatsApp will automatically detect the presence of a previous backup and ask for restore backup.
- Just click on the “Restore” button.
- Maintain a stable internet connection to quicken the process of restoring the backup to your device.
- Once the backup is done, click on the ‘Next’ button to open the WhatsApp.
As every WhatsApp data are backed up, you will be now able to restore your WhatsApp backup every time you reinstall WhatsApp in your device.
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup without Uninstalling?
Now, let us see How to restore WhatsApp backup from Google drive?
You can use dr.fone, a reliable WhatsApp Recovery tool for both iPhone and Android to restore WhatsApp messages
To restore Whatsapp backup without uninstalling,
- You need to download the dr.fone – Android Toolkit and choose the Recovery option.
- The dr.fone – Data Recovery (Android) allows you to recover WhatsApp messages, photos, videos, music, and more as well as attachments easily on your Android device.
How to restore your chat history?
The most important thing here is if you want to restore a backup from Google Drive, you must use the same google account and phone number that you have used to create the backup.
Follow the below steps to restore your chart history and other media files.
- The first step is to uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp
- Now, open WhatsApp and verify your phone number
- Then it will prompt you with the Restore option. Tap the Restore to restore the charts and all other media that are available in Google Drive.
- Once the complete restore process will over, click on the Next button to see the Charts.
Which folder of Google Drive does WhatsApp’s chat backup feature save data?
It’s bit tricky to get the exact location where WhatsApp backed up files on Google drive. Let’s follow the below steps to locate the path quickly.
- Navigate to Google Drive (http://drive.google.com/) and before that make sure to log in to your Google account.
- Click on the Gear icon on the right top corner and then click on the Settings link as highlighted below.
3. On the Settings page, click on the Manage Apps from the left navigation, If you will drag till the end, you can able to see the WhatsApp Messenger option as shown below, where you can manage your WhatsApp backup data.
Click on the Options drop down option and use all the actions based on your need.
Remember that Google drive is designed to use hidden folder to store Apps data.
Why can’t I create or restore a Google Drive Backup?
This is one of the most problems you encounter during restoring your backup. You may find it difficult to backup, read, or restore your WhatsApp backup. You can’t create or restore a Google Drive backup because
- You may not use the same email account you used for Google Drive Backup.
- You may use a different phone number to restore Google Drive Backup that was not used to create the backup.
- It may probably a corrupted or malware-attacked SD Card or WhatsApp Chat history.
To fix the backup restoring issues,
- Check that your phone has an active Google account, and if not, simply create one on the device.
- Check that Google Play Services is already installed on your phone.
- If you are trying to create a backup via cellular network data, then ensure a stable connection. You can also shift to Wifi.
How to restore deleted WhatsApp messages without backup?
To recover deleted WhatsApp messages on your device without backup,
- You have to make use of some data recovery software available online like PhoneRescue,fonedog, and dr.fone.
How to manage and restore your device backups in Google Drive?
You can follow the below quick steps to manage and restore your device backups in Google Drive.
- Open the Google Drive app.
- Tap the Three bar menu and then click on the Backups option.
- Now as the next step, tap on the backup you want to manage.
How to view WhatsApp backup on google drive
Remember that the most easiest and common way to view the photos or other files for your WhatsApp backup is to uninstall and then reinstall your WhatsApp application meaning restoring the WhatsApp backup. While reinstalling the WhatsApp application, it will prompt you to restore your WhatsApp Photos, messages, etc. it will restore from your google drive.
This is the easiest way to access WhatsApp Backup Photos.
How to Backup your WhatsApp Photos or Videos
There was a time where it was a bit challenging to backup your WhatsApp photos, videos, etc. Now let’s discuss the easiest ways to backup your WhatsApp photos, videos, etc.
How to create automatic Backup of WhatsApp photos or videos Android
Follow the below steps to create automatic backup of your WhatsApp photos or videos, etc.
- The first step is, open the WhatsApp application from your android device.
- Now tap on the three-dot menu at the right top corner and then tap on Settings and the next is tap on the Chart option as highlighted below.
3. The next step is to tap on the Chat backup option as highlighted below.
4. Now, tap the “Back up to Google Drive” option as highlighted below.
5. Finally, you can change the duration of backup based on your need. The options are
- Only When I tap “Back up”
How to create automatic Backup of WhatsApp photos or videos iOS
Well, you can follow the below easy steps to create an automatic backup of WhatsApp photos or video on your iOS device.
- Open the WhatsApp application on your iOS device and then tap on the settings tab.
- The next step is to tap on the Chat Settings and then tap the Chat Backup and you can choose the “Back Up Now” option in case you want to instantly backup the chat messages and photos, etc.
- Select the “Auto Backup” option in order to use the automatic backup option. You can select the duration based on your requirement. Below is the available option that you can select.
How to download WhatsApp backup from google drive
Well, to be honest, you cannot restore or download the WhatsApp backup data directly and that easily. But there is a way to achieve the same, i.e with the WhatsApp application itself. Actually, if you will think little depth, there is no need to go through downloading the WhatsApp backup data from Google drive.
The other way is to Navigate to the internal storage of your phone –> Locate the WhatsApp and tap on that to find out the backups folder.
How to restore WhatsApp backup from google drive
Follow the below steps to restore WhatsApp backup from google drive.
- The first step is to make sure, your phone is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- Your phone must be set up with the same Google account where the WhatsApp backup has been stored.
- Now, navigate to the play store and download the WhatsApp application and install it.
- After the installation, when you will open the WhatsApp application, it will prompt you to accepts the terms and conditions. next step is to enter your phone number and confirm the number by entering the OTP received,
- Once you have entered the OTP, click on the Next button.
- Now, you will get the notification that the existing backup file is saved on Google Drive that needs your permission to restore chat history.
- Once you will give the permission, it will start restoring the backup files.
WhatsApp Backup Extractor
WhatsApp Backup Extractor is an excellent tool that helps you to select the iTunes backup to recover. There you can able to see a Recover button. Once you will click on the Recover button, it will start the recovery process.
You can download the WhatsApp Backup Extractor now.
You may like following Google drive tutorials:
- How to find movies on google drive
- How to empty trash in Google Drive
- Google drive unable to process this video
- How to upload iPhone photos to google drive
- How do I resize an image in Google Drive
And Voila! You can access WhatsApp backup on Google Drive, download Whatsapp backup, restore and read them from Google Drive.
I am Rajkishore, and I have over 14 years of experience in the Software Industry. For a long time, I have been using Google Docs, Google Drive, and Google Sheets for my document usage, and I am sharing all the tips and tricks, the challenges I have come across, and their solutions to use Google Docs for your day-to-day use. I hope you will learn from these practical Google Docs tutorials. Read more.