Tired of sitting, tired of reading? Click a button, jump on your bed, and have the article read aloud to you. Let’s say you have written a very long document or a book in Google Docs. Instead of reading the entire document, hearing your words can help you identify confusing bits and stumbling blocks in your Google Docs document. You don’t need a special app or device to have your Google Docs read to you. Google Docs is a powerful tool that reads texts aloud using the text-to-speech (TTS) function. Let’s see how to make Google Docs read aloud using an in-built screen reader, chrome extension, and third-party text-to-speech tools.
- How to make google docs read aloud using Screen Reader?
- Steps to make Google Docs read aloud using Chromevox?
- How to make google docs read aloud using the Read Aloud extension?
- Typing with Your Voice
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to make google docs read aloud using Screen Reader?
- 2 Google docs speak selection not working?
- 3 How to make Google Docs read aloud using Chromevox?
- 4 How to Turn on the Screen Reader Feature in Google Docs?
- 5 Make Google Docs read aloud
- 6 Shortcut to make Google Docs read aloud
- 7 How to make google docs read aloud using the Read Aloud extension?
- 8 How to use Read Aloud to make Google docs read aloud?
- 9 Typing with Your Voice
How to make google docs read aloud using Screen Reader?
Google Docs has a built-in accessibility tool called Screen Reader that can be used to read your Google Docs documents aloud.
- How to add header and footer in Google Docs
- Google docs word art
- How to open Docx files in Google docs (Google docs to word)
Google docs speak selection not working?
Sometimes, even after you enable the screen reader, Google docs speak selection will not work. This is because you aren’t installed ChromeVox
If you want to get Google Docs to read aloud to you, you first need to add ChromeVox extension to your Google Chrome web browser on a PC or Mac computer.
Chromevox classic Extension screen reader is a Chrome extension that gives the browser its voice. The ChromeVox Classic Extension screen reader provides a rich, desktop-like natural voice experience in no time. Chromevox specifically works within the Chrome browser to read content aloud.ChromeVox comes pre-installed on Chromebooks so there’s nothing you have to do besides turning it on.
How to make Google Docs read aloud using Chromevox?
- Visit the chrome web store website and search for Chromevox.
- Once the result has shown up, click on the blue button “Add to chrome”.
- Chromevox extension will be installed in your browser.
How to Turn on the Screen Reader Feature in Google Docs?
After you’re done adding ChromeVox extension, you can adjust the settings in Google Docs. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open your Google Docs
- Select “Tools” from the top menu bar of Google Docs.
- Click on “Accessibility settings”.
- Make sure to check the “Turn on Screen Reader Support” and click “OK”.
Make Google Docs read aloud
Once the Screen Reader feature is enabled, you can use make Google Docs read aloud inside any Google Docs document. To do this,
- First, open up the Google Docs document you want to make read aloud.
- Select the text you want to read aloud or press Ctrl+A to select the entire document.
- You can find the “Accessibility” section at the end of the top menu bar.
- Click Accessibility > Speak > Speak selection.
- Chromevox will start reading the Google Docs document for you aloud.
Make sure you have only one Google Docs document open at a time. Otherwise, it might start reading the wrong text.
- How to view Google docs anonymously
- shorten Google docs URL
- Popular Google Docs add ons
- Google docs invoice template
- How to add Google Docs Image Caption
Shortcut to make Google Docs read aloud
- To make your Google Docs document read aloud, first select the text
- Then press Ctrl+Alt+X keys to start reading aloud.
Google docs won’t read aloud?
If you find built-in Google Docs text-to-speech feature is limited and not read aloud, then you can also use third-party text-to-speech Chrome extensions for Google Docs. Some available text to speech extensions for Google Docs are Select and speak, Translator&Text-to-speech , NVDA — Desktop Screen Reader, and Real Aloud.
For more customization options, then Read Aloud extension is a powerful tool.
How to make google docs read aloud using the Read Aloud extension?
Read Aloud is a Chrome and Firefox extension that uses text-to-speech technology to read aloud the current web-page article with just one click. Read aloud supports 40+ languages with male and female voices. Read Aloud is a boon for people who prefer to listen to content instead of reading, people with dyslexia or other learning disabilities, children learning to read.
Read Aloud download
- Visit chrome web store and search for Read Aloud
- Once found, click the blue colored button “Add to chrome”.
- Your extension will be now added to chrome.
How to use Read Aloud to make Google docs read aloud?
- To use Read Aloud, first, open your Google Docs document and select the text you want to make Google Docs read aloud for you.
- Then click the Read Aloud icon on the Chrome menu.
- And that’s it. Your Google Docs document will be read by Read Aloud.
Key Features of Read Aloud
- You can customize the pitch of the voice and the reading speed.
- Read Aloud allows you to select from a variety of text-to-speech voices, including those provided natively by the browser, as well as by text-to-speech cloud service providers such as Google Wavenet, Amazon Polly, IBM Watson, and Microsoft.
- Shortcut keys ALT-P, ALT-O, ALT-Comma, and ALT-Period are used to Play/Pause, Stop, Rewind, and Forward, respectively.
Typing with Your Voice
You can just talk to your Google Docs, and the text will appear on the screen. To do this,
- Open Chrome browser(this feature is available on chrome only now).
- Turn your computer’s microphone on.
- Open the Google Docs document and click Tools>Voice Typing.
- Click on the Microphone icon and dictate your words instead of typing them.
- Don’t rush and that’s it. Your words will be get written on the Google Docs document.
And voila! You can now make Google Docs read aloud your document with simple steps mentioned above!