Many users that you may come across using Google Docs to write or edit documents. It is the perfect tool that has every other function that you might need similar to what you will find in Microsoft Word. If you have not bought the Microsoft software yet, Google Office Suite tools are the best you can think of using. They are available to work online and saves everything on the drive. You can simply log in to your Google Drive and download the docs anytime you need. In fact, you can also know how to make Google docs editable by anyone.
Well, another issue arrives in most of the Word documents where you cannot directly share the file with other people such as your teammates or colleges. Hence, Google Docs provides you an exceptional option where you can allow other users to edit, view, or comment on the document you have created. With a simple sharing option, you can create a shareable link and make it happen.
If you are not aware of how to make Google docs editable by anyone, we have created the guide that you need. Simply follow the steps below and know more about making Google Docs shareable to other people with just a simple click.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to make Google docs editable by anyone (On Desktop)
- 2 How to make Google docs editable by anyone (Mobile App)
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
How to make Google docs editable by anyone (On Desktop)
To make Google Docs Editable, you can follow the guidelines given below. The steps are pretty simple and even though you might have not used the tool before, you can easily figure your way out and share the docs with anyone you would like.
- Open Google Docs in your browser or click on the link here http://www.docs.google.com.
- Now, create a new document or choose an existing document that you wish to share.
- Tap on the Blue Share button on the top-right corner of the document.
- In the first section, you can simply add the person’s email id you wish to share the document with and click on Done.
- Also, you can choose to share the link with people you particularly wish to share it with such as your client or on a public platform.
- Tap on Change to anyone with the link.
- In the next window, you can now choose between what you wish to allow the people with a link to access. Here you can click on the Viewer option to open multiple options.
- If you choose Viewer and share the link with other people, anyone with the link can view your document only. They cannot make any edits whatsoever.
- If you choose Commenter, anyone with the link can make comments on the document and view it as well. They cannot make any changes.
- If you choose Editor, anyone with the link can make any changes, comment, or even share it with anyone they like.
- Once you have selected, you can now simply copy and paste the link anywhere you wish.
That is all you need to know to share the doc with other people. If the number of people you want to share the doc with is limited, simply keep the document restricted and the mail id of those people and press on Done. As we said, once you have understood it properly, you might not need to look over the instructions again.
How to make Google docs editable by anyone (Mobile App)
So, we have another aspect that you needed to know since it comes in handy all the time especially in times of emergencies. If you have not to download the Google Docs app on your smartphones, this might be the best time to do so.
There are times when you do not have your system with you or your laptop to share a file that might be important. Hence you can now simply use the mobile app to share the file. If this is something you have not done before and might not be aware of, you can follow the guide below.
- Download the Google Docs Mobile app on your smartphones.
- Open the app and click on the document you wish to share.
- Tap on the Share icon beside the name of the document.
- Here, you can add the email id of the people you have to share the document with. Also, you can add a message.
- Below the email ids selected, tap on the small drop-down menu.
- Here, you can select between Editor, Commentor, and Viewer.
- As soon as you select one, you can tap on the send icon below.
- On the other hand, if you wish to share a link, tap on the green share icon on the bottom.
- Tap on Change.
- Select between Editor, Commentor, and Viewer options.
- Now, tap on Copy Link.
- Anyone with the link will act upon the option chosen by you if they wish to.
Well, this is everything you can choose to do with your document on the mobile app. The options are pretty much the same. You only need to follow the steps that will lead you to it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why can’t I edit my own Google Doc?
There are times when you cannot edit the Google Doc you once might have had access to. Well, it could be because of multiple reasons. You might no longer have access to it since the link expired or the owner made changes to it and restricted access to the file. Another reason could be that you are logged in with a different account on your system and hence you need to log in to your own google account.
2. How do I make a Google Doc not editable?
If at all you wish to change the settings of your Google Doc and not make it editable, you can simply change the settings to Restricted. Also, once you click on the Share button on the document, you can simply remove the people you no longer wish to share the doc with. Moreover, to make the doc restricted simply click on Get Link and mark it restricted.
Not a lot of users are aware of this particular feature, but you can also restrict people from sharing your shared files with them. For this, click on the Share button. Open Settings. Uncheck Editors can change permissions and share. Now, click on Done. This will not allow any user you have shared your files with to pass it on to anyone else.
4. How to change the Owner of the Google Docs file?
Since now you have learned how to share a doc or make it editable by anyone, you can also make someone else the owner of the doc you owned. For this, open the document you shared with the person and click on Share. Now, click on the down arrow beside the name of the person you wish to make the owner. Tap on Make Owner. Click on Done.
You may also like following the below article
- Google docs link to another document | Google docs link within document
- How to save Google docs to your computer
- How to remove Google docs page numbers
- Google docs without Gmail or Google account
- How to print double-sided on google docs
- How to get deleted Google docs files back
Here is everything you need to know on How to make Google docs editable by anyone. Not only have we mentioned the steps for your desktop version but also for everyone who also uses the mobile app as well. It is easy no doubt and you also only need to perform it once to learn how to make it happen.
Once you have shared the file with someone, you can restrict them or even make them the owner of the file with few simple steps instantly. If at all you have any queries or issues not allowing you to share the file with other people, you can let us know in the comment section so that we can sort it out for you.